Purge / Revert

I have noted as well that when I revert to saved in VW 9.5.2 on Mac OS 10.1.5 VectorWorks will crash, but only on files that are saved on our server and opened across the network. Files saved on the same machine as the alpplication revert to saved just fine. Work arounds for the crash problem are:

1. Instead of revert to saved, just close the file without saving changes, then re-open it again (does the same thing as revert).

2. Use multiple undo to back track to the last point you saved.

I have identified the crash when reverting to a file on the server to Nemetschek telephone tech support and they replicated the problem on their machines too. I was told it would be added to the bug list.

Asside from the OS 10's Unexpected error has occured ... on other operating systems, do you get an error message?

I can't think of any time that I've had it happen to me. If there is a specific file/files that you are having this problem with, you should submit it to bug submit to see what they find.

We have this problem at our office as well. One thing I have noticed is that the person that complains the most is one of our most prolific users of workgroup references, though it has happened to me as well in files that do not have WGRs in them.

and no, no special message just "Vectoworks has unexpectedly quit..."

"Vectorworks has unexpectedly quit" is a message from the operating system, not v-works. The OS doesn't know why. Other such messages include "The Finder has unexpectedly quit" or "Error Type xyz" and they're all pretty useless as a trouble shooting tool.

I use revert a fair bit and have never had a crash. Maybe it is a network thing as was mentioned earlier. I run v-works on one machine.

"VectorWorks has unexpectedly quit" is a message that you will see if the problem is something we didn't anticipate, or is so severe that the OS kills VectorWorks before anything else happens.

So it's sort of a catch all. If we either knew what the error was, or had time to display a relevant error message we would. In a large number of cases, you just can't issue a good error because the OS won't let you go into the error handling code. The only recourse for this is to use a debug version of the program so you can actually see where in the code the error occurred, put in a break point, and then reproduce the error to see the state of the program.

I do know for a fact that at least a few bugs dealing with revert to saved and MacOS X in the bug list. These should be fixed for the next major release. If there are other situations where this happens we would like to know... TS, were you just seeing this in v8? or could you reproduce it in v9 as well?

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support