creating a road

i am trying to use the road tool in landmark for the first time and getting nowhere.

after looking for information on the internet and finding old sources that are incomplete, i started on my own. in the same layer as my dim, i have a polyline for the centerline of the road and stake objects. when i attempt to use the commands, i get error messages, such as: "error: bad selection. you should have selected a single arc-smoothed polyline."

can anyone point me in the right direction?

cheers,

ray

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Here's the process:

Create the Polyline

Run Landmark > Roads > Station on Polyline

This creates stakes which are on the surface of the model

IF you want to change the stakes so that they change elevation equally between the start and end stake, select the start and end stake.

Run Landmark > Roads > Align Stakes Vertically.

The elevation of each stake will be changed according to the elevation values you have defined.

Deselect the stakes.

Select the Polyline.

Run Landmark > Roads > Create Road from Stakes.

BUT - I just checked it out and it looks like something might be broken... I am getting the same error message as you. I will investigate and file a bug.

tamsin,

thanks for your response. yes, i tried it again in another (simpler) model and got the same error message.

i did create a pretty nice looking road on a difficult site using the grade tool--tedious, but effective.

thank the gods for the grade tool. my design work is very terrain based. the dtm is the main reason i stay with vw. i rely on the grade tool more than any other site modifier, because it is the only tool flexible enough to do what i want. to echo what is being said in other threads, the dtm (conceptually better than what i've seen in other modeling programs) needs a lot of work. the minor improvements in 2012 did little to help. i spend hours and hours just trying to get the landform right. hopefully 2013 will be a big step forward for the dtm.

cheers,

ray

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ray

I too love the Grade tool. I also love the ability to make my own modifiers. I use the Extract tool a lot to pick up geometry from 3D elements in the design and then place them in Site-DTM-Modifier class. This makes it all very flexible.

The road from polyline does work "a treat", except at the moment it appears to be broken. I did file the bug.

All the best