Sheet layer print missing views

Anthony Reilly

Question

I created a sheet layer using several viewports I created from the design layer. I have a front view, 2 side views and a plan view. Only the front view prints. I've examined the OIP for each view to try to find something different from the view that is printing; no luck. I checked to make sure the layers I wanted to print were visible. What am I missing?

Thanks,

7 answers to this question

Are the new VPs actually within the printable page boundary?

Can you see the VPs on your sheet layer, but they do not print? Can't say what up with that. Post a file.

Try restart your system. Maybe Vectorworks or OS went funky.

But, just in case:

If you duplicated the Front VP and switched the view of the dupe in OIP to Top, or Left, or other, and the scene is not visible in the new VP (and therefore does not print), the problem is that objects in the new view are not within in the crop boundary.

To fix this, the Viewport crop needs to move (or a new crop needs to be established) to surround the new view of the scene. Dbl click the VP or Right Click, and choose Edit Crop. In the new screen, select all (Cmd A), and Fit to Objects (Cmd 6). If a crop is present, it will be highlighted and selected. If present, cut (Cmd X). Zoom back, if nec, to see the scene. Click and Paste to place crop in appropriate location. Zoom/Drag to refine placement. If no crop was present, create a new one now in the Edit Crop view (often with Rectangle tool). Press Return to Viewport. Viewport may be off the sheet. Drag or cut/paste the VP to place it where you want it on the Sheet layer. Edit Crop for VPs of other views.

B

I created each viewport by selecting a different view of my 3D object and then drawing a rectangle around the view and using that as the crop (with fill and pen "none"). All of the views are visible on my sheet. I was going to to try to upload a view of the file in PDF format to for a visual, but when I exported the file to PDF it looked the same as if I were printing, i.e. only the front elevation visible.

How can I attach a file or create an image to attach to a post? I don't see an upload or attach icon in this window.

Thank you,

The sheet layer with all the viewports is labeled "Sht-1 [section]".

Edited by Anthony Reilly

Save the file you intend to attach to a location you can find - you will browse to it in the attach process.

To attach files, click the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button in the Quick Reply window, or press Reply in the post to which you are replying. Then click the File Manager (blue text near bottom of window) and browse to the file. Select the file, then click the Add File button. Repeat to add any additional files, then click Done Adding Files. Complete your post and click Submit.

-B

Thanks so much for your patience! I looked under FAQ's and saw how to upload a file and come back here to see that you took the time to give me the procedure.

I tried modifying the crop as per instructions, but don't get a crop outline. There are 4 viewports on 1 sheet. Each viewport has it's own crop.

Thanks,

Edited by Anthony Reilly

So, couple things.

This appears to be created in a Vectorworks 2011 Educational version, or created in 2012Ed and down saved to 2011Ed. I've not looked at an Ed version doc before and am surprised that the Mac OS Print>Save as PDF function is defeated in the print dialog. May not be related to anything.

I can File>Export PDF. In the resulting pdf, all the VPs have visible content to match the screen view of Sheet Layer 1. You report that VPs are not visible in your prints and pdf. Try the export pdf again.

I have no big printer to test this in printed form.

But

Settings I see in your Vectorworks file:

File>Document Settings>Document Set up>Drawing Area> Page Setup dialog shows sheet size as 18.74 x 12.72, while the Printer Setup dialog is set for A4 (prox letter size).

Is it possible that the printer is only printing one page of letter size area on the bigger paper and only capturing one of the VPs?

I see that your viewports are grouped. Maybe you have a reason for that, but seems unnecessary.

OK, I suggest export to pdf and print from that. My export to pdf shows the full 18.74 x13 sheet in Adobe Reader with all viewports populated, all annotations visible.

Post again if still not working.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Yes, the file is an Educational Version 2012 saved as 2011. I work on my personal MacBook and have to 2011 and transfer the file to my work Dell Desktop to have access to the plotter.

Things have gotten much more complicated. I am able to see your PDF on my MacMini at home and my MacBook, but when I download on the Dell I don't see the drawings, just the annotation.

The Dell: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, Ineel® Core Duo CPU, E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 233 GHz, 3.25GB of RAM.

I've gone back to the MacBook and exported to PDF and can see everthing on the Dell and print as well.

It's great that this is the case, but I am no less frustrated, because when I experimented more with printing in VectorWorks from the sheet layer, the previously printing Front Elevation dissappeared [operator error, not system right?]. I reverted to the old document and it printed again. There is something that I am missing that may resolve this whole issue. I am hopefull that I can figure this out. It's not the page set-up, I know that. The annotion prints under the blank space where the views shoud be.

In the past I have always copied and re-drawn objects to come up with various Orthograhic views. This is the first time that I have attemped to draw an object in 3D and then set up a sheet with the various views. It's fantastic! I just need to make the printing work. By the way. The viewports were problably grouped because I was experimenting with making the file smaller. It was 640 KB and I wasn't able to upload it.

Benson, thank you so much for all your help! You got me to the point where I can print the image I'm seeing! I really appreciate your time.

You are welcome, esp if I actually helped. I'm just guessing at all of this, as usual. Printing and pdf should work without any special user interaction on any of the systems. Somewhere, something really basic is wrong.

More Wild Ideas:

1. Printer drivers on the Dell? Go to the printer mfg site for the latest.

2. Font conflict? - On the Mac run your FontBook>validate functions on the file and on your system. On the Dell, dunno.

Anyway, glad you got it to work. Post back if you find the culprit.

-B