2D symbols not showing up?

I seem to be having some problems creating 2D symbols. I just recently started using vectorwork. I bought a fairly comprehensive manual to go along with it. When I got to the section about how to place 2D symbols, I did everything it said but it seems there was a problem. From the plan view (not 3D) the door swings and door casings show up but not that door itself. I can change the fill color of the door but the outline stays white. if I put no fill color on the door, the door appears to be invisable. I have the same problem with windows. How do I change the line weight on these 2D symbols?

I'm using the default sets that came with the porgram. Also, these doors DO show up in 3D view, but not 2D view. confused.gif" border="0

Does the problem you are describing only pertain to symbols you create, or also to VW supplied symbols as well? For symbols you create you will need a 2D AND a 3D part defined for it to show in both environments.

Easy to check. From the Resource Palette, highlight your door symbol (single click). Press the Edit... button (top button on right). If no buttons are showing, click the grow window button in the Title Bar (second button in, on the upper right), and this will expand/contract the Resource window. When you click the Edit... button, you will get a dialog box for three selectable options: 2D Component, 3D Component, and Insertion Options. Both 2D AND 3D areas of the symbol need to be defined, so you will need to draw each and save each part for it to work in both views.

Next, check the Insertion Options of your symbol and pick the Class it will be created under. Be careful, if you have this class's visibility turned off, you will place invisible symbols and get confused a lot. Choose, or create a class that you will normally leave visible when you draw. It is also possible to have the symbol instance in one class and the symbol parts in other classes. All parts will need to be visible to see the entire symbol. Are we having fun yet?

There may be other reasons affecting the display of your symbols. If you are still having problems, write back.

HTH,Raymond

I pretty much tried all of those things already. Thank you for replying. I opened up a house plan that came with doorswings that were colored blue in the 2D view. I could plainly see the doors were the same colors as the jams. There was a door class in which to control this attribute in the class menu. Somehow, whichever way I place a door a "door's" class will not be made. The door shows up in a 3D view just fine and I set it to be open at 90?. It just wont be outlined in the 2D view.

The weird thing is that in this premade house plan, I placed the exact same door that matched some that were alrady there on a random wall, and it didnt follow the rest of the door class. Even when I set it to the pre-existing door class, it didnt change anything.

What am I doing wrong? Can you give me an example on how to place a door? Just simple steps I can follow, appearantly I'm doing something horribly wrong.

Thank you so much for your time. I'll get this all down eventually! wink.gif" border="0

I took a few pictures of the problem but I dont know how to post images on this forum.

Are you running VW 9.5.1 and OS 10.1.5 ??

If that is the case, you need to update to VW 9.5.2 as soon as possible. The problem you are having is related to a line rendering problem apple created in thier latest release of OF 10, OS 10.1.5. They were not planning on fixing it in the immediate future, so our engineers worked very hard to get VW 9.5.2 out as soon as possible.

When you update to VW 9.5.2, please read the read me file very carefully as there are important instructions for installing this.

You will not see a chnage in the objects you have inserted when you open thefiles in VW 952 because the problem is already in the objects. If you insert new ones, you will see they should appear correctly.