Best way to draw curbs and SWalks?

What is the best way to draw 3d curbs and sidewalks 6" above the Texture Bed modifier parking lot that follows the terrain?

Slab/ Send to Surface does not follow the terrain, so can only be used in flat areas.

A Pad SM seems to flood an area and is not constrained in the original PLine, so is useless for raised surfaces that follow the grade...

Site Modifier Graders raise the Ground 6" following the Terrain, but do not have there own surface texture.

adding a Texture Bed modifier on top does do it somewhat...but the updater considers it intersecting modifiers.

I also need to create a B.F. Ramp from the front drop-off point that curves around to the lower level walk out entry point at the back.

Thakks

Edited by Craig D.S.

Curb/Gutter can be an EAP where the path is result of a plan view 2d polyline sent to surface. Try the Fix or Lock Profile EAP options to deal with the twisting on long curved runs. It's not perfect, esp if the terrain is wavy. I still need to figure out a way to make the DTM and EAP fit with no gaps. Usually the DTM can be made with a sharp drop which is then concealed by the curb.

I just model the ped ramps and other curb cuts as shells of ed surfaces - polys or NURBS. Tricky in curved curbs.

I hope the pros can tell us a better way for all this.

-B

My bad. EAP is Extrude Along Path command in the Model menu.

ed was a typo, meant 3d. My ramp is usually a collection of NURBS surfaces or 3d polys. Invoke the Shell Surface tool in the 3d tool set, then start shift clicking surfaces. Click the green check mark or press return to create the shell. Thickness and shell direction (inside/outside) can be edited in the Create Shell dialog, or after in the Object Info Palette.

-B

• 6 years later...

I assume this never went anywhere with Vectorworks 2017,2018,2019?  To simply be able to draw curbs and sidewalks seems should be a very basic tool of this software and yet it's not really possible.  You can try a pathway using the hardscape tool but changing the border to try and create a thicker curb edge is impossible as you can't enter a negative thickness there.  For now the wall tool is they only thing that works, will display in 2D, and give any BIM data. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Guys, has there been a renewed Wish tread on that? 

I agree that this is far from ideal. I can understand architectural software can lack such tool, but for civils and landscape architects this is a must!

Another one is to be able to 'drape' slabs over the site model. Simple planar surfaces don't exist in reality. I do my models with Grade Tool, which is fine, but then in IFC one cannot tell what is what.

Perhaps we should team up and lobby for that to be taken on board?

• Like 3

@all

On 8/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, Michal Zarzecki said:

drape' slabs over the site model

Best process for now is create a Drape Surface (Model>3d Power Pack) over the desired area of the DTM. If a volume is needed, shell the surface up or down.  It's a 3 step workaround, not perfect, but usually works.

See these threads

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/46564-extrude-from-dtm/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/64774-slab-style-on-a-site-model/

and . . .

Upvote these two wishes:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/64864-site-model-texture-bed-with-thickness/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/65364-slab-style-on-a-site-model/

-B

• Like 1