Object Hierarchy

Hi,

being new (very new) to VW I am a bit lost in understanding how to select objects in the scene window. What I mean is that in all of the other apps I use there is a palette with an object hierarchy where I can see the make up of the scene and select objects.

In VW if I have a group and in that group is an extrude then I double-click the group to go into group edit then I double-click the extrude to go into extrude edit. At this point there is not object hierarchy to view (breadcrumb trail). If I get to the point where I have a few hundred objects in the scene how do I select the lathe on workbench 5 when I have 50 workbenches (for example) without a hierarchy?

I guess I must be missing something here (I hope so).

thanks for any replies

If you have many similar objects and you need to change them all at once use symbols instead.

If you have specific objects that have specific settings use symbols.

Symbols are saved in the Resource Browser and can be edited from there.

Symbols can exist in other symbols or in groups etc however, they can still be edited directly through the Resource Browser, and all instances in that file will change accordingly.

I've used all the other CAD apps and haven't hit upon any that show this hierarchy you mention?

VWs way of doing it is very logical, just double click your way through the correct object and operation then change!?

Edited by Vincent C

Thank you.

(Vincent) I come from a non-CAD background so the other apps are Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc. The closest I have come is C4D which does have a hierarchy. I am not moaning just finding things out as I am new to this stuff :)

thanks again

Thank you.

(Vincent) I come from a non-CAD background so the other apps are Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc. The closest I have come is C4D which does have a hierarchy. I am not moaning just finding things out as I am new to this stuff :)

thanks again

No problem, I'm always open for new solutions, and therefore often answer with my point of view and reasoning, be they correct or incorrect....... haven't used C4D so perhaps it would be a nice function to have, however I assume it would be diffucult to have that type of hierarchy visible because the edit history includes not only objects but operations etc. too.....