Layer vs. Screen Plane/2D vs. 3D symbol/Symbol definition

brian-rwc

Question

My ultimate wish list item for Vectorworks at this moment would be if they could undo the workplace nightmare they caused us by introducing the new distinctions of 'Layer vs. Screen Planes / 2D vs. 3D symbols/ Symbol definitions' and so on in the last few releases. I feel it has added an unnecessary amount of complexity to the most simple of operations and cost us a lot in lost productivity.

If anyone could clarify how to more simply manage this feature I would greatly appreciate it!

Otherwise I wish Nemetscheck would revert back to the simpler function of the earlier releases. Working in a Design Layer we typically only want objects to be in the Layer Plane anyways. If we want strictly 2D annotation we would do that in a Sheet Layer.

If not getting rid of the feature I would like Nemetschek to make it easier to manage; particularly by establishing consistent defaults to Layer Plane while working in a Design Layer.

I've checked the manuals on this and the information they provide is scanty and practically useless in helping to explain how to make use of this feature and manage it correctly. At the very least my 'wish' would be for Nemetscheck to provide more complete information in their manuals on this.

4 answers to this question

yes, i think i understand the rationals for the screen plane. but, it is a pain in the neck. i'm told over and over again that the layer plane is the default. however, somehow i unwittingly keep ending up in the screen plane. it is a constant annoyance. if they need to keep the screen plane, okay. but, please stop hyjacking my work flow and taking it there!

ray