Sill plates...where are you?

How do most of you model your sill plates between u/s of floor framing and top of fndt wall so they show up in your bldg sections? The only way I can think of doing it is w/ an extrude, and offset the wall sheathing above to come down over it. What i'd like is for a way to have it included either in the fndt Wall style (vertically stacked mat'l) or in my slab style of the floor composition. Has anyone acheived this?

Age old wish list request.

Vertically definable stackable wall components.

Have not tried slab tool for this yet.

You could use (ahem) EAP with sill plate profile.

I too have used extrude for this.

Will have to re-visit this one again.

What about defining a wall style for this and make it relative to the foundation wall?

Edited by taoist
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Simply put, I create "Sill" layer with a z-height so that it sits on top of the foundation wall and a delta-z of the hight of the sill. I then copy the first floor walls, paste them on this Sill layer, change them to the Sill wall style and adjust as neccessary (removing openings, etc.). The Sill wall style is given the same exterior texture as the wall above so that the exterior finish continues down over the sill. This Sill layer is used only for 3D views and sections. It also makes a good place to place other "3D only" objects (i.e.: corner boards, etc.).

Alright, I am not an architect so I may be missing something here, but wont the wall framer tool offer a single or dual sill option?

Unfortunately, it does not.

Technically, sill plate (foundation) is not part of a wall.

Floor Joist tool is in dire need of an update.

Wall Framer tool needs a majot revamp as well.[/size][/size][/size][/color]

Edited by taoist
How do most of you model your sill plates between u/s of floor framing and top of fndt wall so they show up in your bldg sections? The only way I can think of doing it is w/ an extrude, and offset the wall sheathing above to come down over it. What i'd like is for a way to have it included either in the fndt Wall style (vertically stacked mat'l) or in my slab style of the floor composition. Has anyone acheived this?

Example: 1 storey home with crawl space

Storey's 1

Design layers:

Footing - Top of Footing -6" (12" footing) Bottom 18" below grade

Foundation - Top of Foundation Wall (0) for me. Wall is 32". Leaves 26" showing.

Sill plate - Top = 1-1/2" above Top of Foundation Wall. Bottom reference is foundation. Bottom Offset is 32".

Floor joists - Top = (2x10) above Top of Sill Plate

Floor sheathing - Top = 3/4" above Top of Joist

Floor (walls) - = 8' wall height + 3/4" finish Floor + 1/2" Ceiling = 97.25" above floor sheathing

Finish Floor - 3/4" Hardwood Top = 3/4" above Floor Sheathing

Ceiling - 8' + 3/4" (finish floor) to underside of ceiling

Ceiling Framing - 2x8 in my case joists sit on top of wall

Roof -

Everyone has their own method.

Some use ground level as 0.

Edited by taoist

You're welcome Patrick,

As for a "proper toolset", I'm not so sure what would be a better method than using walls. Having sills as wall objects works well and is very flexible. Trying to attach sills to foundation walls would lose the flexibility and probably overly complicate things. Generally speaking: The more things you try to make an object type do, the more complex the object can be to use, and the less flexibility you may have. IMO, the real problem may be that there is not be an official prescribed method defined for users.

If you can think up a way that a plug-in could make it easier, let me know.

Best regards,

I totally agree with your theory of not making things too complicated to use and YES please someone write a 1000 pages VW prescribed workflow bible.

As for the type of Fndt PIO or at least the type of "functionality" automation That I think would be interesting for VW is outlined here http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34763&Number=171615#Post171615

No other BIM package automates this process either so it could even be an edge for VW sales.

Hey Patrick,

Send some of that BBQ down my way and I'll see what I can do. :-P

VERY nice outline! I'd certainly like to see features like that. Functionality like that would be best left to NV to develop. They're the only ones that could probably get into enough of the meat of VW to develop what would be needed.

I'll still wouldn't mind some BBQ though...

Sill Plates? Sill Plates? We have stinking sill plates!

What's wrong with using the Framing Member set to height 1-1/2" x 5-1/2" width (USA). They will list on your framing list, if you use it, and will show up in the model if you turn on the class.

djb,

You must draw the sill plate in order to see it.

One can use the rectangle tool and extrude.

One can use the Double Polygon tool and Extrude.

One can use rectangle profile and EAP.

Do you mean framing member in the Detail Tool Set?

If so, I did not know that was possible.

Thought that was for 2D Details only.

As I have no experience with Worksheets, (which I need to do),

that is great.

I assume that anything we draw is available in the Workseets, by Type, Class, Layer, etc..

You'd be amazed at what's in this program if you dare to use it. Matt Panzer proved this with his plugins.

Asking the software to draw a sill plate as a function of other commands is asking a bit too much for this type of software. There are other software programs that do this but cost 3 times as much and may be way too much for what you are looking for, and No, they are not Autodesk products.

Framing member ( detail tool set) is in the wrong tool set, should be 3d or AEC menu, but it allows you to create 3d elements for wood, steel and truss elements and all controlled via the object info pallet. They are sub elements of the framing tool in the AEC framing menu (need Architect or higher). You can even use it for trim pieces on elevations or sticks for any form of thing you design.

Try it, I think you'll like it. I dare you.

djb,

If you are talking about Floor, Pillar and such under AEC, yes I use them for objects such as you describe.

Rectangle Tool for floor sheathing, AEC > Floor

You could use rectangle > floor and duplicate array or duplicate along path if you wanted to for floor joists in place of Floor framing tool.

I also use Sweep, EAP, Loft Surface for creating newel posts and balusters. Why, because we do not have them in our libraries or as options for use on stair railings or elsewhere.

As with most software, there is more than one way to achieve the task.

VW can place trim (rectangle) for doors and windows. Why can't it draw a sill (rectangle)? It may require the SDK, do not know as I am not a software programmer.

Edited by taoist