Sources for beautiful 2d symbols

bcd

isymbol.eu have a really nice style for some work also

the default xfrog symbols are appealing but not what I'm after, they're also limited in range and there's no easy way to extend that in VW.

I'm trying to avoid creating having to create custom symbols so the search goes on.

If epix export had not disappeared with the introduction of the Cinema 4d engine from 2011 on, I would have recommended Piranesi.

2.jpg

As well as coming with its own image library, it is very easy to create your own and place or paint as a texture.

The background fields, trees and house are from a photo (courtesy of Camera Match) , all the foreground is rendered in VW then textured and plants are added in Piranesi.

Thanks Ian,

This looks hopeful. These look great. Maybe it's finally time pull that 12.5 bottle from the cellar. With the prospect of Lion/Mountain Lion I'll probably have to create a Snow Leopard partition to keep this all working.

Delicious!

Now why have we lost this post 2010? How does this benefit the user? Does it have something to do with forcing us towards C4d, which does not replace Piranesi

I believe that the Piranisi (and the other missing render modes/option) were part of the ld Lightworks rendering package.

When LW was dropped in favor of performance with C4D, those things had to be dropped. If you want/ need them then submit a wish.

Thanks Pat, I'll do that.

After looking into a little it seems that Piranesi export worked from VW before the Lightworks engine.

It also seems that Prianesi has been horribly neglected by it's parent Informatix

http://www.informatixsoftware.com/forums/showthread.php/6588-News-about-Piranesi-from-Informatix-Inc.

It also seems that a winning strategy would be for VW to buy Piranesi and add it as part of the Rendering Suite. It seems ripe for the picking...

Thanks Ian,

This looks hopeful. These look great. Maybe it's finally time pull that 12.5 bottle from the cellar. With the prospect of Lion/Mountain Lion I'll probably have to create a Snow Leopard partition to keep this all working.

What I do, don't ask why, is to create the model and Camera Match in 2011. I then export the final camera view to 2010 then export to epix where I then hand render/texture/add props/plants.

Piranesi does supply Vedute which can convert from many formats to epix, but as I was using Camera Match to align with an existing image, I had to keep it in VW format to maintain the match. His may be the plugin that you have seen. Otherwise I may look into it further.

Some times I would perform a render in 2011 to make use of the Cinema render engine and import this as a background image later imported into Piranesi. So I would get the benefits of Cinema and Piranesi. My workflow started off a bit convoluted as I didn't have a license for Camera Match under 2010.

Thankfully Lion was fine to handle all my versions (I was effectly a test mule for Piranesi on Lion) but if you are coming from 12.5 then you probably will need the dual boot. Prior to the guys at Piranesi getting me a Mac version (it was at the point that I migrated from PC to Mac) of Piranesi, I had successfully run it in a VirtualBox session on my MBP.

I also worry for the future of Piranesi. There seemed to be a split with the parent company and UK subsidiary which I think developed Piranesi. Whilst their heart is in the right place, I'm not so convinced that they have the muscle to compete like they did before as new versions are a bit thin on the ground.