Where do symbols come from?

Working hard at learning VW and slowly getting it together but not without much confusion. I have gotten my project to the point of creating my own plant symbols and that is coming along pretty well but I have a few questions.

I have used the Photo IP symbols but notice that the shadow patterns for trees show the dual-plane nature of the symbol. I have been through Tamsin's book thrice and counting (always finding something new) and notice in her (your) exercises that the shadows are more realistic. How so? Also, the exercises utilize some 3D shrub symbols that the software does not provide. Where do those come from?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jim

Can you send me screenshot of your shadows on your Image Props? Are you using a Heliodon for lighting? Does it have the Soft Shadows option checked? And are you definitely using a Renderworks mode to light the scene? What about Environment Lighting and Indirect Lighting? Adding this creates a much softer look to the whole scene... You can easily recreate this by using a built-in Renderworks Style such as Realistic Exterior Final.

The image props in the book are mostly those provided with the software. Which ones in particular are you asking about? I may have made a couple myself. That's a case of using Photoshop (or alternative image editing software) to select the plant pixels and replace their background with a solid colour. Then, use Model > Create Image Prop, import the imagea and create a transparency mask from the background colour.

If you post an image - or email me at support@vectorworks-training.co.uk I'll happily try to diagnose the issue.

• 2 weeks later...