Resource Browser

Just a general question on using the resource browser..

In your standard office template file (the blank file that opens when creating a new file) do you:

1) Keep all your most used resources, such as hatches, wall styles etc as favourites in the resource browser, allowing you to store your custom files anywhere on your PC

or:

2) Add your custom files to the default library which loads on VW startup.

Kind of along the lines of this post

Presently I have a default list of classes which are part of my template which I want to shorten. I also have resource files sort of scattered everywhere.

I'm thinking about this setup:

All my personal resources stored in a certain location (probably my documents folder) and set as favourites, which I use when I need to. I will leave the default library as is.

Edited by Kizza

Hi

I do not do option 2 as it one, takes to long to load and acctually made VW crash.

I have a VW drawing with all my textures and symbols(stuff) in it. so seperate personal Library files.

I open these drawings and import to the new one as needed.

In my defualt "new" drawing template I do have certian textures and objects I use in each drawing with classes and Layers all setup like my presentation camera view with lights ,Grass, tress and HDRI Backround

So yes good idea, to have own personal library and leave defualt as is, but you can place it in the same location if you like.

I have a seperate folder where all my library files are in, structuras as VW requires it. I rename the default folder on the pc's hard disk so that I only see my own resources popup.

You can have your own defaults library.

Classes are also stored in a file for importing them, never keep them in your template file for various reasons. A template file is for saving your file settings like units and document preferences....

Always import all of your classes. When you make a viewport, you can set all the visibilities for all classes. When you then later add stuff, those visibilities will be correct. When you don't import them all, and have set the visibilities, then user new objects which brings in new classes, you have to set the visibilities again, it ask much more work and is error prone.

I have a seperate folder where all my library files are in, structuras as VW requires it. I rename the default folder on the pc's hard disk so that I only see my own resources popup.

VW only loads library files in the Default folder correct?

So you effectively "disable" VW defaults from loading by renaming the default folder?

I would then assume that you have created another folder named Default and into that folder you put your library files, copying the original folder naming structure.

Sounds to me like most pro users disregard the VW library files and create a second set of files where they build their own, and locate that set in a specified location.

[quote=KizzaVW only loads library files in the Default folder correct?

nope, you can assign extra folders 'workgroup folders' in the VW preferences. This folder can be anywhere, even somewhere not on your computer like a server. VW will load all files from:

1. The installation folder.

2. Your user folder.

3. Folders you put in the workgroup folders.

The folders structure must be the one VW need. For this, you can check the one in the installation folder.

Take hatches for example,

I have three hatch files, the default one in the installation folder and two in my user folder. I end up with heaps of hatches to choose from in the attributes palette.

For example, say I had 100 hatches. I want 10 of those to be always and easily accessible. The other 90 I want quick access to when required.

Would I:

1) Include the 10 in my template file

and:

2) Put the other 90 into an appropriate file in the user folder

or:

3) Put the other 90 into a file anywhere on my system and create a favourite to this file from the resource browser?

Obviously the same principle would apply to textures. I don't want to slow down VW with heaps of resources loading on startup - on the other hand I want them to be easily accessible.

P.S. I am aware of the ability of the resource browser to go directly to the user folder but this doesn't work properly.

What we do is put the most used resources in the default folders in our library. All others are in files in the favorites folder so they appear in the resource browser.

For example our most used default walls are in the default folder for wall styles, but all others that we use from time to time will appear as a favorite.

Having only a few most used defaults speeds up the work drasticly. Another advantage is that when another resource is needed, the user will be reminded that he is working on a special or less used thing, for walls, this is excellent because then the user knows he will need to control or set extra info because of the special situation.

If you want to shorten your favorites, you could make extra folders in your library that VW will not load automaticaly. Then in the resource browser, you can click to explore the workgroup folder and get the file you want a resource from, this works perfect!