Hardscape tool basics??

reh577

Sorry for the newbie question, and hoping the community can help.

I'm trying to use the hardscape tool to create two pathways in Landmark:

1. Irregular width curved pathway with a border on the sides, but not top or bottom, with a 4x8 basketweave paver fill. I can get the fill and border, but since I'm working in boundary mode due to the irregular width, there doesn't seem to be a way to limit the border to only the sides of the path. Am I missing something or is there a work around?

2. Curved path with running bond hatch fill, no border - how to get fill to follow curves of path? Or is this a job for another tool?

Renee

For 1) just hide the edge of the hardscape/polyline. Double click to edit the Hardscape, then use the Hide or Show edges mode of the Polygon Reshape Tool (fifth mode button in) and click on the center handle of the edge you want to remove the border from.

Can't answer 2).

• Like 1

You need to create a shape for the paver you are using. then draw (offset lines that are the width of the paver you are using. Then use the duplicate along path command to place multiple copies of the paver in running bond rows.

A better tool for this would be great!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's right - it would be so cool if we could fill a hardscape with a pattern that follows the flow of the pathway.

Another way to do it, would be to use the Wall tool for the pathway (a wide, very low wall) and create a tile fill that is set up to both rotate in wall and fit to wall. The basic tile pattern will stretch along its Y axis to fit the wall, so you will have to be careful that you draw it so it doesn't distort, but it will then rotate along the curve.

Of course, you then lose the benefit of the hardscape having automatic edging, but you could use two other walls to create the pathway edging.

Hope that helps!

Hardscape Tool Basic????

it would be so cool if we could fill a hardscape with a pattern that follows the flow of the pathway

It would also be cool if the Hardscape Tool produced decent corners when using a spaced border - it does not!!!!

Consequently this project with lots of townhouses I could not use it and for each house had to do these by hand - takes a lot of time

The Hardscape Tool still requires a big fix up; we need a tool that works not work arounds

• 7 years later...

Hi All.

Interesting ideas and solution above. Will definitely need to try these out.

When using the Hardscape tool for the first time I felt that the tool needs a bit of love. I think that it's not only about the visual aspect, but also the specification. I was quite surprised that the information in the tag was so limited.

It would be amazing, if one could not only define the visual side of things but also the technical one. Imagine there are fields where you detail the proposed manufacturer, jont width, perhaps mortar etc and this is then automatically included in the tag. The latter could be styled, i.e. one could choose what item of the spec to include.

Another thing is the edging discussed in this thread. Perhaps one could define the profile of edging, similarly to the possibilities offered by the Railing tool. So, imagine you have a default choice of BS kerbs, block eding, setts and you can add your own. And the concrete bedding and haunching as well 🤩 .

What do you think about it?

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I would attach a record format that is custom generated to the specs you want, and use that for all specs. This process works great for Turf, Edging, Mulch, Walls, Lighting, Etc..

• Like 1