AutoDesk 2013

Vectorworks basically is no match for Revit therefore when comparing it, I've down-graded it to AutoCAD levels. I left AutoCAD a long time ago and I've used it now and again however viewing the videos of the whole AutoDesk 2013 line of software, I get the feeling that AutoDesk is surging forward and companies like NemV and Graphisoft are going to be left behind.

Below are new features of AutoCAD 2013. I wasn't a fan of AutoCAD but after having a look at these videos, all I can say is wow!

Most notable are "Detail Views", "Section Views", "Model Documentation", "Additional User Interface Enhancements", "Associative Arrays" and "Property Preview" just to name a few.

I'm starting to think that AutoDesk isn't the "devil" I once thought they were :grin:

Just observing,

Problem is though, Autocad doesn't have building components such as walls, doors, windows etc.

Or does it have them now in 2013?

EDIT:

Just looked at Autocad's associative array function. Puts VW to shame. Even puts Revit's array function to shame.

Last night I was working on a site model, We VW users are still manually updating site models and section viewports.

WHY?

Edited by Kizza

Below are new features of AutoCAD 2013. I wasn't a fan of AutoCAD but after having a look at these videos, all I can say is wow!

Most notable are "Detail Views", "Section Views", "Model Documentation", "Additional User Interface Enhancements", "Associative Arrays" and "Property Preview" just to name a few.

I've learned to be VERY skeptical when it comes to these kind of videos, even when it concerns VWs........

Edited by Vincent C
You guys have to wait and see VW2013 before downgrading Nemetschek

It's not about downgrading Nemetschek, it's about giving the VW user base what they need, which include necessary improvements and fixes.

In the words of the great James Taylor "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

2013 I think will tell us a bit more about VW roadmap.

My biggest concern is that VW is a stepping stone to Archicad, so can we expect VW to be improved with the features requested, if there is a possibility that Archicad sales may be affected?

Edited by Kizza
Problem is though, Autocad doesn't have building components such as walls, doors, windows etc.

AutoCAD Architecture has these components.

You guys have to wait and see VW2013 before downgrading Nemetschek

Unless you're a beta tester, you cannot say with certainty vw2013 is going to be a HUGE improvement (and it has to have a HUGE improvement to compete with the competition). All you're doing is speculating. However, I don't need vw2013 to judge the roadmap that NemV has taken. Based on VW2009 to VW2012 (especially VW2012), NemV's definition of BIM is an extremely convoluted one and VW will not come close to Revit and based on what I can see happening to AutoCAD, VW will start to fall behind AutoCAD/AutoCAD Architecture.

Complaining about the trajectory of VW 5-10 years ago is one thing. Watching the competition fly past 5-10 years later is another.

As I said here, I want to know what VWA is actually for, what solution is it trying to solve:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=171801#Post171801

The front page of http://vectoworks.net/architect/ says the following:

With Vectorworks Architect software, you can create building information models without giving up the design freedom you need. Whether you're looking to streamline costs, analyze materials, increase your energy efficiency, or just create world- class designs, with the Vectorworks Architect solution, BIM just works. Enjoy the robust and flexible capabilities of BIM with the ease of design, great documentation, and intelligent tools that the software is known for?right from the start.

In all fairness this could be changed to:

With Vectorworks Architect software, you can create building information models of sorts. It certainly doesn't "just work" but, hey, you're a cheapskate who isn't willing to pay for real BIM. Anyway, you can open your old files and you don't have to learn a new programme. That's about it really, nothing else compelling I'm afraid.
My guess is that the UI is holding you back...

Yes, Archicad's Mac UI really is atrocious. But that's not the only thing holding us back. The other is the prospect of Revit on Mac, although Archicad would be our preference. But the main thing is I don't want to push a reluctant director into upending his whole business with a new CAD solution when he's been using something else for his entire working life. We're a small business, if I decided to leave he'd be left carrying a can he's not even familiar with. To make such a change I want to be supremely confident I can pull it off with little risk (such as introducing Archicad slowly, starting with a project at a time).

Car manufacturers in the past made vehicles that usually didn't look like the same family of vehicles. e.g. a Toyota hatch-back looked totally different to a Toyota van. Nowadays vehicles from one manufacturer have a similar look while still being different e.g. you can make out a BMW 3 series and a BMW X5 comes from the same manufacturer even if it didn't have the BMW emblem.

Similarly all Autodesk's 2013 products are starting to have a similar theme so it seems natural to move from one to another (e.g. AutoCAD to Revit to 3ds MAX). Also by doing things this way, the software seems more cohesive, cleaner and more professional. This is another reason I like the new Autodesk 2013 products compared to Nemetscheks philosophy of keeping all their software seperated and segmented.

Last year I upgraded my computer including all software. I upgraded my C4D from version 10 to 13 and vw 2010 to vw2011 (free upgrade to 2012) so no money left. :)

All the money I spent from vw12 to vw2012 and C4D9 to C4D13 could have been saved to now purchase the Autodesk Building Suite (http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=1157326&id=16541383).

Although I love C4D, I will have to bite the bullet and make that my last upgrade to Nemetschek products. From now on I will be saving my upgrade costs to purchase the Autodesk Building Suite.

Is that humorous enough for you?

ArchiCAD v16 .... $4,250.00

ArchiCAD Start Edition 2012 ... $1995.00 (please call for details on this product)

Rental keys -

1 month ... $280/month

3 months .. $233/month

6 months .. $206/month

12 months. $182/month

Rental Keys are full ArchiCAD licenses that you rent by the month.

Service Select to VW is like our ArchiPLUS with ArchiCAD.

It is a subscription plan where you can get the latest releases at reduced prices and addon benefits along with webcasts put on by Graphisoft. You can only get this service if you are on the full ArchiCAD licenses and you have to be on the latest release. The cost of this service is $595/yr (with a 3 year contract), but keep in mind an upgrade cost is $895 for a one version upgrade.

Food for thought for those interested.

Question is,

How does Autocad Suite compare to ArchiCad or vise versa?

Edited by taoist