IFC archicad to vectorworks not importing walls

Hi, I'm new to Vectorworks after a few years hiatus.

I've been using Archicad for a while and have used IFC to communicate successfully between archicad and Revit. I just started at a Vectorworks office and want to translate an Archicad project into Vectorworks. I can import the IFC model into VW but it won't keep walls as walls or doors as doors, it turns them all into "ifcelements" which is useless. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep the elements the same as IFC is intended to be used?

thanks

I mentioned this before but I guess no one paid attention.

@WickedPissa,

Contrary to what NemV would like us to think, Vectorworks is NOT a BIM software. It's a CAD software like AutoCAD, just with a little BIM tools. It's a software with No BIM intelligence however it's being forced to act like BIM software. AutoDesk tried to make AutoCAD work like BIM with "AutoCAD Architecture" but it didn't take off therefore they bought Revit, a true BIM application from the ground up. The heart of Vectorworks is based on simple CAD principles with no understanding of BIM and with some clever coding from the engineers at NemV, it's made to look like a BIM software. I doubt it will ever understand BIM elements from other software.

I can import the IFC model into VW but it won't keep walls as walls or doors as doors, it turns them all into "ifcelements" which is useless.

Though this is ultimately what we would like, but in defense of VWs, it is actually not part of the IFC concept, ArchiCAD have incorporated it as an 'extra' feature (though in my experience it is far from perfect as yet (don't know bout Revit)).

The fact that you can import it and that it is classed as an IFC wall element is all that is required according to IFC directives.

Contrary to what NemV would like us to think, Vectorworks is NOT a BIM software.

Depends on which of the 1 000 000 BIM definitions you mean.....the fact that you can model a house in 3D and share the information actually makes it a BIM program, it is definitely a work in progress (especially the architecture tools) and i think NV never intended it to be a competitor for the likes of Revit, Bentley and ArchiCAD, the fact that it is says a lot about its capabilities....it is still a budget app.

As I keep on pointing out to people if Revit or ArchiCAD or Bentley Architecture suites better for your jobs why not get a seat of one of these, you should get your money back after one large project!? We're talking about a couple of hundred dollars a year! That's about a days work.

Otherwise your best bet is to add stuff to the Wishlist, I can confirm that about 50% of all my wishes each year end up in the program........I submit about 50 wishes large and small each year.

Edited by Vincent C
..add stuff to the Wishlist, I can confirm that about 50% of all my wishes each year end up in the program........I submit about 50 wishes large and small each year.

Your success rate is higher than mine. I might actually do a tally....after the September release that is..

....it is still a budget app.

I beg to defer. In certain countries it's more expensive. When you compare price of vw to other BIM applications, you have to price VW Designer + Renderworks to have a fair price comparison.

In Australia (the last time I checked):

ArchiCAD = +/-$6000. VW Designer+RW = +/-$5500

Revit + AutoCAD + 3ds Max = +/-$9000. VW Designer+RW + C4D = $11000

In South Africa (the last time I checked):

ArchiCAD = +/-R35000. VW Designer+RW = +/-R39000

So, vw is far from budget software.

I agree with you - in Australia, there is not much between VW Designer and Revit Architecture. Don't forget though, Revit's subscription rates are pretty high.

The Designer package has more in it, the trade-off is that Revit is more "Bimmier" (is there such a word? :/ )

If we get some decent features added to 2013 that are being requested, then I think we'll have a robust package.

Might have to ask Vincent to compile a list for us seeing that you have a high wishlist success rate ;)

Edited by Kizza
....it is still a budget app.

I beg to defer. In certain countries it's more expensive. When you compare price of vw to other BIM applications, you have to price VW Designer + Renderworks to have a fair price comparison.

In Australia (the last time I checked):

ArchiCAD = +/-$6000. VW Designer+RW = +/-$5500

Revit + AutoCAD + 3ds Max = +/-$9000. VW Designer+RW + C4D = $11000

In South Africa (the last time I checked):

ArchiCAD = +/-R35000. VW Designer+RW = +/-R39000

I agree 100%. I paid $3,000.00 (American) for VW Designer 2011 - hardly what I would call a budget app. I think the people who think of VW as a budget app are still influenced by the good old MiniCAD days, when it was a budget app. Kind of. If I remember correctly, I paid about $700.00 for MiniCAD 7 (the last version before the switch to Vectorworks). This was when Photoshop was going for about $400.00 or $500.00. Now VW 2012 is $3,370 and Photoshop CS6 is about $700.00. And Photoshop is certainly a professional app.

I believe the huge price increase was part of their marketing strategy to get away from the negative connotations of a poorly chosen first name - "MiniCAD". It was always embarrassing to tell other people the name of the CAD package I used, and recommended they use. And I always wondered why in the world they chose it. Supposedly they were thinking it would compete neck and neck with "Micro", as in MicroStation and MicroSoft, but they bet on the wrong horse. Instead, we got "Mini Me" (I can just see AutoDesk saying to Richard Diehl, " I'm bigger than you and higher up the food chain. Get in my belly!"). So I was all for the name change. It was overdue. Then, unfortunately, but understandably, the next thing they did to be taken seriously by people used to spending $4,000 bucks a pop on Autodesk products, was raise their prices accordingly. Now (some) people would think they were getting a deal on a "professional" product. It actually makes perfect business sense. People often associate low prices with inferior products, whether it's true or not. Back in the good ole days when houses were still selling strong, I needed to sell my house quickly so I put a very low price on it, but had no success. I switched realtors and the first thing they said was raise the price, if it's too low people will think there's something wrong. I did and it sold. The realtors were right. People are not that smart. Myself included.

The only catch is, people who spend $3,300.00 on a program are a lot less tolerant of bugs, glitches, and workarounds, then people who spend $700.00 on the same program. Even the people who are not that smart.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Monadnoc

In Sweden:

ArchiCAD full package $10000 (yearly subscription $3800),

ADT and Revit similar to ArchiCAD.

Vectorworks $3900 (yearly update $1000).

Might have to ask Vincent to compile a list for us seeing that you have a high wishlist success rate ;)

Forget number 1, mistake....

Just an example and perhaps not only I am to thank for many of them but still......:

Edited by Vincent C