Landscape Areas Save-able?

Can Landscape Areas be saved, similar to Hardscapes. I have developed some standard ones for Mulch, Sod, Seed, Gravel, Bark, etc., with names, and want to be able to save them and then apply like a Hardscape, where the class, layer, name, etc. gets applied with one drag/drop. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Edited by Monadnoc
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

No Save Landscape Area button like in Hardscapes (wouldn't THAT be nice!), but you can still do it:

Select your defined Landscape Area, and choose Modify > Create Symbol. Name the Landscape Area and check the Convert to Plugin box, assign a class and click OK.

You will then see a red symbol in the Resource Browser, and a small thumbnail of your landscape area.

To reuse the settings, double-click the resource on the Resource Browser and start to draw. Works a treat. You can also use the eyedropper to transfer settings from one landscape area to another.

Hope that helps! Have fun...

Tamsin,

Thanks for such a speedy reply. I tried your technique, but when I double-click on the created Landscape Area symbol in the Resource Browser I get an error message: "The plug-in tool "Landscape Area Tool" could not be found ..."

Even though it is in my Site Planning Toolkit and also available when I right click and choose "Objects From Polyline". And they both work.

Also, I tried drag and dropping (like a Hardscape) but that doesn't seem to work.

But the eye-dropper tool did.

Any ideas/suggestions? I've already created them all as Hardscapes anyway, which should work fine for my requirements. But since they are Landscape areas, not Hardscapes, a part of me just wants them to be Landscape Area objects.

Thanks again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hmm - that's odd. I just checked and it works fine for me, but I am using 2012. As you have Designer, you could try changing your workspace to Landmark and repeating the double-click to see if that makes any difference?

At least the eyedropper works for you though.

• 1 year later...