textures

i have vectorworks 8.5.2, and i am looking to create textures on the objects that i am creating, is this possible without purchasing renderworks, lightworks, or any other plug ins? if it is not possible, which plug in is the best for simple textures and shadows.

No, its not possible to create textures in VW without RW, in addition VW 8 is no longer supported, so unless you can find a used copy of RW 8 you will have to upgrade to VW 9 and then purchase RW 9. All in all, although it will cost you some money, this is a really good thing to do, many things have been improved in VW/RW 9. The texture creation options are better and you can create much more complex geometry in VW 9 with the free 3-D Powerpack add on.

Another option would be to get Artlantis, its a rendering program that will import VW file for texturing, lighting, and rendering. I don't use it and I don't know much about it, but I've heard good things.

Good Luck