Texture Orientation

Kevin K

This post points out the flaw in the way VW applies, in this case, the direction of the wood grain texture, on all window and door trim, sash and jamb elements. The texture is applied to all elements of the object, in one direction only.

Is it only me who has brought this Rendering embarrassment up in the past?

It truly does cheapen the Rendering aspect of VW, big time, in my view.

They just can't seem to fix it, which is beyond my comprehension.

I know it can be done, because, as you can see in the attachment (hopefully I did this correctly so the attachment show up) showing a VW Window and a cabinet created in InteriorCad (which as many know, works right inside VW), that InteriorCad absolutely addresses the grain direction of the wood textures around its vertical and horizontal members.

So..........my thought is, if InteriorCad can write the code to facilitate this, why can VW not??

This post points out the flaw in the way VW applies, in this case, the direction of the wood grain texture, on all window and door trim, sash and jamb elements. The texture is applied to all elements of the object, in one direction only.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=33906&Number=167368#Post167179

Haven't resolved the text texture yet..

Edited by Kizza

Once I got around to ungrouping a door and found it to be a single polygon extruded to the door thickness.

Why can't it provide as many extrusions as needed to build a door?

Each rail, stile must be separate extrudes and they would have to probably be extruded from the smallest of the element profiles for the silly mapping protocol to work. A 2x4 poly extruded to 36" does not map the same as a 2x36 extruded to 4". Sheesh!

bc, the problem is that in Hidden Line renders you see all of the junction lines even when the Smoothing Angle is set to something other than 0?. The problem still exists with the HLR enhancements in Vw 2012.

You can solve this by setting the objects to structural with the following script:

PROCEDURE ToStructuralObject;

VAR
selected : HANDLE;

PROCEDURE SetAsStructural(obj : HANDLE);
BEGIN
	SetObjectVariableBoolean(obj, 702, TRUE);
END;

BEGIN
ForEachObject(SetAsStructural, SEL=TRUE & INSYMBOL & INOBJECT);
END;

Run(ToStructuralObject);

I do this for counter tops in our kitchen symbols/pios, so we can draw them with units with their own counter.