BIM Fail: inability to show hatches in Section Viewports

Christiaan

Question

We currently have a couple of construction phase projects that we've started modelling using Storeys.

We need black and white line elevations and we need to clearly indicate external materials on these elevations. In 2D we did this with hatches.

To do this with a model we had to extract planar objects from the surface of each wall and apply a hatch to them. These are static objects that will need to be manually edited if we alter the model.

Turns out this method only works with Viewports, not Section Viewports. So we switched from Section Viewports to Viewports halfway through the project.

Now we've modelled two blocks out of three only to find that we need Section Viewports in order to cut through the model of the third block to show walls that are hidden behind other parts of the building.

Nemetschek, how are we expected to earn a living when this is the sort of thing we're up against? This is not BIM.

What's the wish? Support for planar objects in Section Viewports? The ability to apply hatches to directly to our model? Support for Materials instead of all these abstract bunch of ideas called hatches, textures, fills, etc.? I don't know, but some consistency would go a long way.

12 answers to this question

What's the wish? Support for planar objects in Section Viewports? The ability to apply hatches to directly to our model? Support for Materials instead of all these abstract bunch of ideas called hatches, textures, fills, etc.? I don't know, but some consistency would go a long way.

1) Not bad - Planar objects still require editing if the model changes

2) Better

3) Best - materials makes a lot more sense

+1

count me in on this one.

reminds me of this..

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=28630&Number=140058#Post140074

Edited by Kizza