Setting a viewport within a model

Any ideas why I'm getting such inconsistent results? Everything is set to use Classes. I'm using viewport class overrides to thicken the lines but not only is it not working with the brickwork wall (don't know why, it's on the same Class) but the rendered white wall on the right is showing as thicker on one layer but not another.

Can't say, I have never had this problem. But what I do know is that the wall thickness in 3D comes from the overall wall class and not of the classes of the components. So make sure you set the thickness of the walls from the overall wall classes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The combination of Hidden Line and Custom Renderworks shows how Vectorworks rendering (Hidden Line) and C4D Rendering (Custom Renderworks) don't play well together. I believe that the basic render modes (ie. Hidden Line) are still handled by Vectorworks internally instead of using the C4D rendering engine. Because the results are created by two different rendering engines, they don't overlay exactly. Hidden Line creates a vector based layer while Custom Renderworks creates a bitmap based layer. Planar object outlines are rendered on both layers resulting in soft line edges or inconsistent line widths.

I believe the result we all desire is actually a combination of 3D objects rendered in Custom Renderworks combined with 2D/3D objects rendered in Hidden Line, but at the moment there is no way to exclude the 2D planar objects from the Custom Renderworks render pass.

I've been doing some online courses for C4D and its rendering engine has the ability to do many of the things you are asking for (heavier line weights in the foreground, lighter line weights in the background, outlining complete objects with heavier lines), Vectoworks just doesn't implement these options (mostly because its not using the C4D engine for line work).

Kevin

Christian

While I agree VW should do what your after with ease. Your greyscale drawing reads very well. There should be equal preasure on contractors to up their game. . The increases clarity of color and renders amplify a drawing.

We use box.com for drawing issues, contractors can share the link to all sub contractors so little need to photo copy. Box has a pdf viewer so drawings can be viewed on ipad. Our drawings are mainly A3. Color laser printers are pretty ubiquitous.

I find using class for texture and color fill controll helps me see that the building is correctly classed. Live sections with color fills are clear and fast to produce. Color and texture has sped up my workflow.

So while the output is not traditional and has some reproduction issues, it has helped me create improved coordinated drawing set by focusing my time on the model. I feel more in control of the building.

The hybrid render / hidden line drawing reads more clearly to clients and contractors alike. Moving to BIM means testing different methods of output also.

Our drawings are mainly A3. Color laser printers are pretty ubiquitous.

That's the problem. Colour laser technology is very cheap at this size of paper. But our drawings are mostly A1, sometimes A0. Often we're producing nearly 100 drawings for a project. The contractor gets two hard copies of each revision. The costs mount up quickly.

We have started producing our details at 1:5 in colour on A3 sheets however. This is working well.

Dieter, the advantages of getting the hatches into the model are:

1. The hatches will show correctly skewed on roof faces and walls that aren't straight on to the view.

2. You don't have to draw/edit them every time you create/edit a viewport.

3. You don't have to draw them around rainwater pipes etc.

4. 3D views.

5. Correct and complete dwg export!!!

6. No rendering time.

7. No need to rely on rendering. (we've missed a deadline on an important project by a week and counting. There's some bug causing VW to hard crash each time we try to render our elevations and we're still waiting to hear back from Nemetschek on how to solve it) - missing deadlines is something new for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two different types of bricks to differentiate in these elevations.

What do you reckon would be the best way to alter the brick texture to differentiate it enough from the current one but not lose too much of the realism?

I reckon probably inverting the brick/white and mortar/black.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7635&filename=400.pdf

Edited by Christiaan
  • 5 weeks later...

Just had Vectorworks crash after updating to 2012 SP5, I went to get my back up copy and now the hatches have disappeared from the backup of my file, they show in design layer but not the sheet layer viewport.

I suggest that Vectorworks remove this video

This is far too problematic of a way of putting hatches onto Elevations....especially extracting this information in viewports.

I am constantly having problems of planar objects not showing correctly and there are far too many problems with this to be an efficient workflow!