snapping/aligning 3d solids

Hi all

how does one snap the bottom right corner of an extruded rectangle to the bottom left corner of another extruded rectangle lying perpindicular?

In an isometric view, zoomed in close, no object/smart cursors appear...switch to front view, and 'object' appears, so I can snap them together, but when I switch back to isometric view, the end points don't align.

It must be some intuition I'm lacking or something...can u hepl? THX!

There are two tips that will really help with this.

1) Use the 3D Selection tool when moving these objects.2) Try doing the operation in an ISO view instead of a head on view.

The reason for #2 is that if you have 2 smart points that are on axis to your angle of view. VectorWorks will pick the ones closest to you.

i.e, Extrude 2 rectangles and try to snap the top left to the bottom right. If you are looking at them from a top view, you will end up snapping the top right and the top left together.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matthew, I just don't get this at all...I want to snap 'outriggers' onto the ends of rafters.

Should I be using some other tool (ie align or something)?

Smart cues say 'object' when using the 2d selection tool, but nothing when using the 3d selction tool. if I do it with the 2d tool, it looks perfect in an the ISO view I used when 'snapping' the outriggers, but when I switch to any other view it is totally wrong.

Being new to VW, I suspect there is something fundamental I'm missing here...has anyone got any ideas?