Newel Post 3D

Here is my 1st attempt at converting 2D . dwg to 3D

I duplicated the components needed separately for 3D.

I used Sweep command.

Make sure you do not have multiple lines where there should be only one line.

I found out it causes "objects must be on same plane error" as sweep command can't determine which plane (left or right) to use.

Square portions with rounded edges at corners (like you would see on a real newel post) still needs work.

Concave profile portions do not show correct in OpenGL or Fast Renderworks modes. Show correctly in wireframe and hidden line modes.

What gives?

I will try Loft Surfaces to see what results I obtain.

Will also try the Push / Pull tool as well.

Edited by taoist

Hey, Taoist - Looks pretty good. Lofts may help with those round to square transitions.

Or you could try a solid subtraction using a sweep of whatever the profile is (cone? sphere?) to cut the squarish extrusion. Similar to how a lathe would remove material to the target surface.

Those concave areas should render properly. You probably know this, but look at your VWX conversion resolution prefs, 2d is in the edit tab, 3d is in the 3d tab. Also, the OpenGL has anti alias and detail settings in the render options tab.

In v2012 look at those Renderworks styles in the teapot pulldown menu or View>Renderworks Style. The Realistic Interior Fast and Final options at bottom of list might be great for this.

-B

Just a bunch of trouble shooting ideas. No reason to think any of these are at work here:

Sweep segment angle to low? (Are those even sweeps?)

Are you using the imported DWG vectors? or 2008 vectors ported to 2012? Maybe try native 2012 objects in a new 2012 file.

Could it be a scale issue, ie drawing little objects in a 1/4" = 1'0"? Remake a new newel at 1:1 in a new drawing.

Is any of this a Mesh? Try enabling or increasing the Mesh Smoothing Angle in Document Prefs>Display tab.

Or something corrupt in the file? Does a new sweep of a new curved profile in this file render correctly? Does it in a fresh drawing file?

-B

Benson,

Looks great!

This is my first attempt at using solids modeling.

I have never used the Loft Surface tool.

Did not convert anything to a mesh object.

All native 2012 objects and such.

I copied the .dwg profiles, then duplicated the sections and used Sweep Tool. I do not know the version of .dwg that was used for the profiles.

Scale is 1/4" = 1'-0"

Sweep segment for square sections is 90 degrees, otherwise it is not square.

Sweep segment for round sections is 10 degrees

I want to understand all of this so I can build my libraries for balusters, newel posts, railings.

Would love to know how to create volutes and such.

This would give a great wow factor for interior renderings.

I will try a new file and create a concave section from scratch and change scale to 1:1 and report back

Edited by taoist

Looks like this is sweeping an arc and the sweep is including the whole slice of pie (arc and radii from ends of arc to center), even though only the arc segment is visible in the profile view. Enter the sweep, trace the arc with the polyline tool in arc or spline mode, move to back, delete the arc leaving the new poly line, exit the edit.

Bob's yer uncle.

-B

Benson,

I want to make sure I understand the loft you did.

Create a solid (cube)

Create a circle (Nurbs)larger than the solid to get the look of the curve

Place top of circle just above the solid

Loft in 1 rail mode from outer edge of circle to where top edge of circle meets solid.

This is what I have so far.

Trying to figure out how to remove (subtract) upper portion of square solid.

If I do not have this correct,

please do a step by step as I am new to this.

Thanks

Edited by taoist

Here is my 2012.vwx file. Text was put in screen plane, so will go wonky when you change view. But the vectors should help you figure out what I did.

I created a dish with a NURBS circle (actually a 2d circle converted to NURBS) and a NURBS profile representing the shape of the shoulder I am trying to cut. I ran the loft in Rail mode - the middle mode.

My other shape is an extrude of a rectangle. I placed the dish high enough so that it projects somewhat above the top of the extrude. The dish and extrude intersect at a circle at top of extrude.

Next step is select both, then Model>Section Solids. Click the arrows in dialog if needed to highlight the dish (sectioning surface). Click OK. OIP has box for Reverse Section if you are seeing only the area above the dish.

You will get there!

-B

Lookin' good, Taoist! Seems like a lot of work, but that's about how the wood objects are made, too. Each section has its own spec, so the prototyper has to cut, rule and caliper, cut again - many times. They ultimately create a jig for production runs - like making a symbol in VWX.

Show the completed if you have time.

-B

Benson,

I am having trouble with the circles and nurb profile.

Cant's seem to get it to work.

Looked at your drawing

How did you creat the smaller circle (if you will) with out drawing one.

What did you use for the nurms profile?

Poly line, arc convert to Nurbs or Nurbs curve?

Everything else I understand or have the final result as it should be.

I will post when I am done.

I have others I need to do and balusters.

VW needs a Lathe tool for lack of a better term.

Hi, Taoist - This modeling may seem kind of arcane, but you are getting it really well. I remember you jumped right in to it when you first started posting with all that EAP work for the crown and cornice moldings.

That circle on top of my sectioned extrude is there because it is the intersection with the dish. I did not draw or place any circle up there. It's just what's left after the section command.

My profile for creating the dish is that NURBS curve rising out of my scene. I drew it as a 2d poly in Front view Screen Plane, then Modify>Convert>Convert to NURBS. It was snapped to the endpoint of the NURBS circle (which was converted from a 2d circle).

Grab those two from my drawing and play around with them to get the dish.

-B

Benson,

I figured out your dish.

When I create from scratch, that is, make circle convert to nurbs

make profile (poly line), convert to nurbs, align both properly.

Loft Surface, I receive message can't make into solid.

It took me awhile to figure out need to click on circle first then profile, or you do not get the results we are looking for.

Yours works mine does not.

Still working on finding out why?

Benson,

I still have not figured out why your dish works and mine does not.

I have taken another route.

Creating the result of the Intersection Solids with dish and extruded rectangle (cube, your final post cut.

I use (2) circles

Bottom circle diameter to match rectangle

Inscribe a square inside of that circle

2nd circle size of post ball base in this case

Example: Rectangle part of post is 3.5" square

Draw a 3.5" diameter circle

Place a square inside of this circle, centered and 4 corners of square meet circle.

Offset small circle vertically height distance of side profile

Loft surface, no rails between the (2) circles, make solid

Offset to correct height

Model > Intersect Solids click OK. Then click reverse button.

Image below is what we are after.

Because in the case of this newel post, the top and bottom curves of the upper square portion of the post are not the same.

Would need to do your technique at the top and bottom portions to get correctly as well.

I will keep trying to find out why I can't duplicate your dish in 3D.

Edited by taoist

Ah - Your profile, the free end, extends past the axis of rotation. In this case, at least, loft tries, but cannot create a self intersecting solid.

Go to Front view, select the profile

Enable the split tool in Split by Line mode

Acquire a smart point at center of circle

Split the profile on a vertical line above the center of the circle.

Or redraw the profile so it does not extend past the circle center.

Now they will loft.

-B