9.5.2 slow in OSX

I have just installed OSX and then updated to Vectorworks 9.5.2. When opening an older file I find that 9.5.2 is very slow, very jerky when moving walls/lines etc.I have searched this board a have found that others are happy with the prefomance in OSX - what did I do wrong? -Helpjavascript: x()

Actually I also have experienced that V9 is much slower in editing than V8. I only have a G4-400 which I believe is the reason.

Since our EnCad plotter does not have an OSX driver I have to zip back and forth from either V8 to print (or restart in OS 9). I do the same for editing.

Brian, you do not have to restart in OS 9 to print, you can simply install VW twice and set one of the installations to lauch in classic, you do this by selecting the application in the finder window and hitting command I (the letter eye). You will see a box that you can check to lauch the application in the classic environment, from there all your OS 9 plotter drivers should work normally.

Even better is to down load the Viewer and use it to plot in OS 9 in classic, That way you can have VW running in OS X while you plot from the Viewer in OS 9 in the background. You cannot have your full installation running concurrently in OS 9 an OS X because its trying to use the serial number twice.

Skates, try changing from millions of colors to thousands in your display preferences, it has speed up the preformance of several older machines in our office.

OS X's GUI interface takes up a lot of CPU cycles. A whole lot. Just as a back-of-the-napkin type observation I would say VW in OS X is about 5-20% slower. I'm sure this will vary by the machine you use. The faster your hardware the less noticeable. (G4 - 400 here)

At home just for kicks I installed OS X on a old 233 G3 beige machine. While OS X itself ran, running a program interactively was atrocious.

So all in all, the upcoming OS X 10.2 update will probably speed up VectorWorks a good bit in OS X providing your video card supports Quartz Extreme (OMG that is a terrible name, I can't wait till marketing hears it and decides on VW Extreme frown.gif" border="0 )

Now, if you already have a fast Mac, say a G4 400 and up, there is probably something else running on the system that is also eating up the CPU. My first guess in that case would be to make sure that the classic environment isn't running. Classic running a single unfriendly application can eat up a huge amount of CPU time.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: Matthew Giampapa ]