Importing autoCAD DWG into Landmark

ThatGuy Rugger

Question

I'm wondering if it's possible to import a structure built in autoCAD architecture into Landmark. I figure this has to be possible seeing that a landscape company using Vecotworks would prefer to get permission from an architecture firm to use their files so that the landscape company wont have to waste time and build their own structure to landscape around. I'm about ready to receive my degree in engineering graphics and have been learning AutoCad for the last two years and as my capstone I wanted to learn Landmark because its my plans to transfer to get a B.A in landscape architecture. Any light at the end of this tunnel?

7 answers to this question

Yes, you can import AutoCAD Architecture files into Vectorworks. Although the results will be mixed. But if all you want is the basic building geometry I think that would be very doable.

When I get a chance I will give it a try and see how it works.

Monadnoc

I just tried it in ADT 2004 (the only version I have access to at this time). I created a simple house model as a test, with only walls, windows, a door, and a roof. Indeed, when you import a straight ADT file into VW it translates the roof fine, but everything else comes in as flattened lines with no 3D. A pity. As this makes working between the two almost impossible. Maybe newer versions of ADT/Architecture get translated better? In VW's defense, whenever using a ADT/Architecture file in any other Autodesk program (like vanilla AutoCAD, Civil, etc.) you need to download and install ADT Enablers for that app. to see any of the special ADT objects, like Walls, etc. The work-around (for either other Autodesk apps without Enablers installed, or for exporting to competitor's software) is to Explode all ADT objects prior to export/saving. This is an old standard trick in the AutoCAd world whenever there is an issue with things. Explode, explode, explode. In this case, I only had to do it once. The resulting Blocks came in fine. They are no longer "intelligent" objects once exploded, but for your purposes should work just fine.

I've attached the original test file, an exploded version, and the VW file with the exploded version imported into it. I added color to the walls, door, and roof after I imported it into VW for clarity.

Monadnoc

You're welcome. You may want to try the IFC export/import options from Architecture too. You may have better luck with that keeping walls, windows, etc. in tact. IFC isn't an option in ADT 2004, so I couldn't test it, but it is in Architecture 2012, and I think in Architecture 2009 too. So you should have it in Architecture 2011. IFC is the format VW pushes for interaction with BIM apps now.

Monadnoc

Yes, yes. Thanks to your help I imported a file and it looks rad. Unfortunately some components could not transfer such as the outer brick component for a wall and it makes sense. If it's not to much of a hassle, how do I change these in VW. Do I need to double click a part to enter the edit symbol. I know the name of the wall in reference to its class. I also have the textures_exterior finishes file loaded on my resource browser. Whats the next step for example, to put a brick texture on the walls?

Well now it's getting a little complicated, and a bit beyond importing basic shapes. But still doable.

I usually texture everything by class, if you're familiar with that. But since this is coming in as a bunch of grouped 3d polys you have to do a little work first. For one, it seems everything came in with rendering set to "none" (on the Render tab). So the first thing I did was select all and change the setting in the render tab to "Texture: class texture". Then I loaded a texture into the "other" tab of the Wall and Roof classes (since they are not actually Walls and Roofs but 3d polygons). Make sure "use at creation" is selected. That applies the texture to everything in that class (and luckily everything did come in in its appropriate class), but there is still a minor issue. Since everything is made up of a gazillion 3D polys, the texture maps in all different directions. To solve that, enter each wall/roof group and select all and go to Modify > Convert > Convert to Mesh" Then you'll have one object. But the texture mapping is all screwed up. So go back to the Render tab and hit the "Reset to Default Mapping" button. Then Bob's Your Uncle. It is actually easier, and faster, then it sounds.

I did up the four walls and roof in my original test file for you to see how it is done. I also copied one wall off to the side that is still made up of many 3d polygons so you could see what it looked like after I first textured it. Enter that Wall (group) and try what I just described to get the texture looking right. Good luck.

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc