v8v9 Wrefs

If you are converting a VW 8 drawing to VW 9 and there are wkgrp refs in the file, those files also need to be converted to VW 9 files. If you are not getting a message stating the wkgrop ref files need to be converted, then that is a problem.

Are you not getting an error message ?

If you converted the file to a version 9 file and kept the _v9 on the end of the file name, the file name is now different than the file name specified in the workgroup ref path. When the original file has not been converted to or the file name has changed (with the _v9 ending) you should get that message.

Check to make sure the file doesn't have _v9 at the end of it.

... but I never HAVE the source file in v9, same name or not. I don't need to maintain the link in these cases. If I did, then I'd first update the source file (overwriting the v8 version, so I have the same sourcefile name). I'm not interested in updating the reference; I copy out what elements I need. I'm not stuck on anything, I just wanted to know why there is an inconsistency.

I am confused. Are you opening a v8 file in v9 and do not want to maintain the ref?

Or are you opening a v8 file in v8 that has references that were converted to v9?

Or am I just completely lost here ...

I'm opening a v8 file in v9. This file has a wref to another v8 file. The referenced file has not yet been converted to v9.

As a matter of sound practice, I won't take a project that was started in v8 and carry it to v9. As a result, if I need a v9 reference, I'll build one from scratch. However, not everyone is of the same mind, and some v8 users may want to convert their project files to v9. If the referenced file name kept the _V9, VW looks at the v8 file, sees that it's the wrong version, and does one of two things:1) Alerts user that the ref'd file is not v9, and opens the file, with the error message "Error opening 'filename' while updating yada yada...". Okay, this makes enough sense; I need a v9 source file, with the same name as what the reference points to.2) Alerts user that the ref'd file is not v9, then pops up a dialog asking the user to select the file to use for the wref update. Point to the converted source that still has the _V9, if you have that. Point to a completely different name, or the same name but in a different directory. Whatever.

What I don't understand is why VW sometimes -- usually -- displays behavior #1, but occasionally gives me behavior #2.