Is Vectorworks EVER going to get wall clean-up right?

We keep hearing about how great VW BIM is but it STILL can't handle wall clean-up properly.

A very typical condition is to have a 4-way intersection of walls with differing thicknesses. No matter what I do, I can't get it to clean-up all four intersections. At least one is always not cleaned up.

WTF?

How hard can this be?

Am I doing something wrong?

See attached pic.

I know that L-joins won't work. Your suggestion won't work, DWorks because the top and left walls are thicker than the bottom and right walls - I wind up with gaps or overhanging lines.

I tried L-joining the top and left walls and then T-joining the bottom and right walls to those. The result is pictured above.

billtheia, it took me a little fiddling, but Deiter's directions do work.

what I did was to heal the wall breaks.

pull the wall ends back so none of the 4 walls touch. select the two horizontal walls and the upper vertical wall and use the align vertical with the bottom option selected.

use the wall join tool in L-join mode and click on the bottom vertical wall first and join it to the upper vertical wall.

change the tool to T-mode and then click on the right horizontal wall and join it to the upper vertical wall

click on the left horizontal wall and join it to the same

voila you should have something like the attached

Thanks, Ion. With your help, I got it to work. I would never have thought to use an L-join between two collinear walls. It took some gymnastics, though. I got the 4-way intersection to work but then an intersection at the other end of one of those walls broke. I fixed that and then one of the original 4-way walls broke. I was able to fix that and now everything is clean. I still think that the whole thing doesn't work very well. Wall clean-up seems to operate based on some set of rules that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Starling, your example only looks like it worked. If you turn on line thickness, you'll see that one of the walls isn't cleaned up.

Hmmm. You DID get it to work. I can't get it to work in VW2012. I wonder if something has changed since VW2009 (the version that it appears you are using.)

Another important thing to know is once you have joined the walls and they don't show correctly you need to start over completely......move all wall ends back, then remove any 'history' they retain by using the Remove Wall Breaks tool and then do the above.

Hmmm. You DID get it to work. I can't get it to work in VW2012. I wonder if something has changed since VW2009 (the version that it appears you are using.)

Another important thing to know is once you have joined the walls and they don't show correctly you need to start over completely......move all wall ends back, then remove any 'history' they retain by using the Remove Wall Breaks tool and then do the above.

I usually use point split tool to detach and then delete "corrupted" wall ends... clean amputation

Where has that tool been all my life?

I didn't even know it was there. Worked like a charm.

Still, would rather wall cleanup be more straightforward and able to handle more complex (and common) conditions.

For now, though, looks like the Pillar command will be my solution of choice.

Thanks, Bob.

Where has that tool been all my life?

I didn't even know it was there. Worked like a charm.

Still, would rather wall cleanup be more straightforward and able to handle more complex (and common) conditions.

For now, though, looks like the Pillar command will be my solution of choice.

Thanks, Bob.

Keep in mind that by doing this, you can't bound slabs to the walls and pillar!

This kind of situations are perfectly doable with walls like described in my post at the top.