cumulative dimensioning

it is common in many countries to work with various 'dimension axis' and measure distances from objects to those axis using what could be described as 'half' a dimension, meaning there's one arrow, one witness line, and a number.

dimensionally speaking, constrained base-line dimensions do the job, except that the way they are represented is what i need to change from a two sided dimension going all the way to the axis to a one sided one which is on the side of the object only...

i've been using vw for years, mostly in the u.s., but now i'm in argentina, and if i'm not able to solve this problem i will have to switch to autocad.

very basic example of what i'm trying to describe: http://www.arquitectura.com/cad/artic/replanteo.asp

any help would be highly appreciated...

i added a screenshot showing what vw gives me and below what it is that i need...

Edited by nicolas d

I don't think the dimension standard can be edited to do what you want.

So the idea is that the length of the dimension line doesn't matter - the dimension object just shows the distance to a fixed reference point?

Have you tried ungrouping a dimension object and deleting one witness line?

You could also Modify>Convert to Group and edit the group.

Not the fastest workflow. Maybe there's a VS solution, but it sounds like you don't have time to wait.

Or you could create a symbol with attached data and enter the dimension in the Data Tab of the OIP..... example attached....

mk

michael,

i appreciate your taking the time to come up with a solution. even if not perfect, it's more automated than making groups and editing text blocks... so thank you. i'm probably going to use it at least while i can't figure out anything else.

thanks again...

nicolas

if i could somehow draw invisible dimensions whose values feed the data in a symbol like yours... and if then the symbol would be automatically positioned to the end side of the dimension... but even if all that was possible i don't know how to do it...

I refuse to be defeated by lack of a PIO or specialty object.

This is kinda funky but result looks like your example:

1. Create a short line with an arrow head at end and place at desired dim location. Duplicate & place a copy at each dim location.

2. Make a standard dimension in Constrained Dim mode (first tab) from axis to arrowhead at any one of the dim locations.

3. Set the dim line weight to 0 (Attributes Palette). Result: Dim value is visible, witness and base lines are invisible.

4. Select the "invisible" dim and Duplicate in place. Move the end point and then the text of this duplicate to another of the dim locations. The invisible base will stay referenced to the axis. Or move the base along the axis and adjust the endpoint and the text location.

5. Repeat for the other dims.

-B ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7136&filename=InvisibleDimLines.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

appreciate it very much, benson. based on your suggestions what i?m actually trying to achieve is a group object containing a invisible dimension (where one can only see text), and a symbol for the arrow. i duplicate and reshape this group every time i need a new dimension.

the only problem i'm still not able to solve is the misalignment of the text being always what i want it to be - it changes with every reshape... i wish i could make it be fixed at the position of my choice within the dimension..

nicolas

i've added a file with the object i created...

Edited by nicolas d

Well, I can't do any better than you did with your symbol-in-group. Maybe others have a solution. If this is a common dim style, it should be an option.

The dimension value position shifts left or right as the group is rescaled - standard behavior for a linear dimension object. But your goal is to have the dim value always justified or centered on the arrow.

Perhaps as a really stupid workaround, your drawing file could have several of these symbols - short, long, medium lengths. Many of your dims would have text contained over the arrow in one or the other of these groups.

To the VWX deep geeks out there:

Could scripting or other programming create a new dimension object or mode for this style of dims?

-B

I think it can be scripted. My own scripting skills are glacial in speed, but I think I can offer a faster workflow....

In the attached file is a worksheet, a symbol for a reference line, and symbols for the dimension objects.

The work flow is thus:

1. Place new dimension object symbols (Horiz Dim) in the drawing. (Flip the symbol for those left of the reference line) The displayed value will be 0.

2. Recalculate the worksheet. (little triangle > recalculate). Any new dimension symbols will appear in the worksheet.

3. Select the cells in the C column from row 7.1 to 7.xx. Copy. (Command-C on a Mac, Control-C on a PC)

4. Select the cells in the D column from row 7.1 to 7.xx. Paste (Command-V on a Mac, Control-V on a PC)

The dimension symbols will now be displaying the correct value.

If you move a dimension symbol, start with step 2 to update the displayed value.

I'm certain that there is a way to script this. I'll leave it for better coders than I.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

benson, thank you for your suggestions. i think re-shifting the dimension values to the exact position is less than i initially imagined vw was going to oblige me to do... so it might be fine...

michael, thanks for your files. in vw 2008 when i hit recalculate (after having inserted one or more new symbols) the whole worksheet goes like in the screen shot i attach to this post.

but having attempted a solution to this is already a lot, i'm not asking for any more of your time... thank you!

Edited by nicolas d