Help with Room FInish Schedules - Custom Room Name

I used custom room names in my project instead of the standard names, so when I create a room finish schedule the "Space.Name" parameter for each space/room reports "Custom", instead of the actual custom name I typed in. It appears that the custom name parameter is a separate piece of "data". I want the schedule to report this custom name...not simply say "custom" for every room in the project.

When I turn on the column headers in the finish schedule the formula for reporting the standard room names is "=(Space.Name)". Does anybody know what the formula would be for reporting the custom name?

The VectorWorks help program isn't very helpful with this issue.

Beyond the immediate subject of this post, does anyone know of a good resource for learning how to use this side of vectorworks? ie: I've learned how to use the drawing toolsets simply by playing with them, but dealing with this"programming" side of vectorworks it's difficult to even know how to begin.

Thanks in advance!

Braith

...didn't find the answer yet, but it turns out there's a bug in the program. Somehow "Space.Name" is mixed up and is actually reporting a different data field...it's reporting the "Occupancy Organization" instead. The default value of "Occupancy Organization" is Custom, just like it is for "Space Name". When I change the "Occupancy Organization" the value I enter actually shows up in the Space Name column in the schedule.

How do you report bugs like this?

Also, I found the Vectorworks manual has some good info on how schedules and worksheets work, but still no sign of a list of data fields that can be used in formulas.

I'm still hoping someone out there has the answer to this.

Braith

braith

You don't say which version of VW you are using. This works for VW 2012:

=('Space'.'11_Name') reports the contents of the drop down. Which could be something like "bath" or "Custom"

=('Space'.'11_Space Name Cust') reports the custom name if the above field is "Custom". If one of the drop down names are use, this field is blank.

=('Space'.'11_NameDisplay') is the one you want. It reports the name, whichever field is used.

hth

mk

Awesome! Thanks michaelk!

So...is there a reference somewhere that lists all those parameter names? That list seems like an important thing to have handy. One would think it would be available form within VectorWorks.

Thanks again for the help.

Braith

So...is there a reference somewhere that lists all those parameter names? That list seems like an important thing to have handy. One would think it would be available form within VectorWorks.

I was wondering the same thing........I found this but it seems fairly complicated, guess it'll have to do....http://developer.vectorworks.net

Hi...

I believe, Pat Stanford has a script for that. I have made it into a PIO, and use it all the time. Select a PIO you wish to check for records, and run this script... you are given a worksheet with possible data fields which can be used in your worksheets...

Let me look for the link and post it here...

One moment...

Guest Wes Gardner

Braith,

Here's a file with the script, just look in your Resource Browser under VectorScript Palettes, you can "import" the script into your file and you should be good to go...

Remember that an object like a door or window CAN NOT be in a wall to run this script

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner

You can just use is as a resource. No need to copy it to the plug in folder.

Right click on the RB and choose New Resource in ___ > Vector Script > it will ask you to name a VS Palette (which is really just a folder for the script to live in) > then it will ask you to name the script >

a Vector Script Editor window will open. Paste the text from Pat's script into the window and hit OK.

Now you can run the script from the RB (double click or right click > Run)

or you can right click on the the VS Palette (first think you named) and choose Open and the script will open in a new palette.

It's much more simple than this makes it sound...

Once you get it in the RB it's like any other resource. You can import/export it to other drawings.

hth

mk

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here's something fundamental I just discovered and would like to share with other worksheet/database beginners.

If you want to enter the name or other criteria for a certain object in the worksheet:

Until now I've always used the Paste Criteria command and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Looks like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7294&filename=Paste%20Criteria.png

.....now I've discovered that if you first select the object in question then run Paste Criteria it returns specific criteria for that object directly......

Looks like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7295&filename=Paste%20Criteria%20Selection.png

Edited by Vincent C