VW crushes when rendering

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to render my project, but it crushes after just a few seconds. It seems that when I render only a few objects, it's fine, but when I try to render most of my classes it crushes.

Is it possible that my file is too large? It's about 330 MB, has around 120 classes and 3 layers. Is this normal for an interior design project? What can i do to reduce the size?

Or is there any other problem? Please help.

Thank you!

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, there are a lot of curves. I used my own textures from jpegs, created new ones and also used some of the VW library ones. I have a few area lights, some spotlights and a directional light. I am still quiet new to VW so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Good day Melady

Sounds like you getting the hang of things though.

Like I said: What render style/mode are you using for it to crash? can you do openGL? and post it here.

[To post an image: switch to Full Reply Screen, click on File manager, browse file and add.]

Due to all the curves you will need to tone it down on the rendering side.

Reflective textures like Chrome on a round surface, like trussing, will not render if values are set too high. Maybe render at a lower DPI or edit texture to be less reflective or make curved surfaces less curved.

Does the program just shut down or is there a "out of Memory" message?

It could partially be the amount of RAM you have. For my MBPro, I've had hangups with Renderworks. With the recent drop in memory prices, I got for $70 two new 4GB chips for 8GB total, carefully installed them, and found that rendering is much faster now.

Another thing to consider is to render with the sheet layer viewport only, and use it to turn off classes you don't need in that view.

Finally, it is always helpful to purge unused resources, to keep the file size down.

This is why I asked if there was a message of some sort.

I do not see why you would need more RAM just to do a simple render as you are on 4GB, 8GB would be best.

Next Q:

Have you tried doing a render with only VW open after a fresh restart?

Interesting that you cant even do OpenGL.

What grafix card do you have?

I don't have a problem with the memory. I have about 415 GB free on my HD and have NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB card. I tried to restart and had only VW opened but didn't help.

I do use only the classes that are in the viewport and purge regularly.

I turned of some lights as well as used simpler textures and it works ok now.

256 mb of Vram IS a memory problem. And 4mb of RAM IS a memory problem. Your hard drive space doesn't mean anything when it comes to rendering.

Aha! I was right

I missed that bit of 256mb. That is like entry level and VW does like upgrades ;)

Did not think 4GB would be a problem, now we know

Thanks Grant.

No, that's just your hardware issues. There's no way of really knowing what's going on and bogging down your file. It could be bad geometry, something with your lights...

Rendering is not a plug n play process. There's often a lot of intuition involved in getting your rendering speed up and the stress on your system down.