new laptop recommendation

My employer is forcing me to get a Windows laptop instead of a desktop. They'll provide a port replicator and extra monitor, but I am afraid they'll botch the purchase and get me something that will fowl up VW use. Can anyone make a recommendation about any specific issues that I need to know about to make sure they get it right ?

I know there are recommendations on the website for RAM and processors, but I'm concerned about things like VRAM and graphic card incompatibilities (things i know little about). PS: I do lots of RW renders, so I need power/speed.

I agree. Even though I use a laptop for a fair amount of work. Make sure your graphics card is discrete and not integrated.

I favor HP laptops, although Dell seems to make a good desktop replacement as well. I've never tried those cooling pads, although it seems like a good idea. I've been known to turn the AC in the office up to full arctic breeze on days when I'm working a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree that a desktop is better for intense graphical workflows, but I disagree about rendering on a laptop. I render large scale drawings daily on a laptop with an external display and cooling fan desk stand.

My MackBook Pro has 8 GB RAM and a 1GB ATI 6770 and renders just fine. I tend to upgrade my machines every 3 years or so.

I have 7 years of Pro IT support exp and Dell makes great machines, but I would never buy an HP.