another roof question - gables?

ChrisA

This is sort of complicated to do correctly in VW's. Generally for your situation I create 2nd story (or more accurately "roof" story) walls. In plan view make sure to stretch the wall(s) to the maximum possible length that it needs to be, then go to a side view and use the 3d reshape tool to accurately reshape the wall as needed (you will need to add a couple of vertices to the wall(s) to achieve the condition shown... HTH's

That looks like it would work. I did something similar. On the lower level I made a wall that started at 8' and then fit it to the roof. So essentially it built a wall in the attic starting at just above the ceiling below.

That did the trick.

TFTH

Chris

Peter:

I don't think you can pull a peak out beyond the edge of the wall a la Woody Woodpecker in order to fill in. You'd have to pull the wall fully under the gable void which would make the wall too long.

In these cases I add a wall to my roof layer and modify it to fit. Careful to not send these wall bits to another layer unless is has an identical Z-height. If you do, they won't retain their z-height but instead default to zero. This is a problem.

Tom

Tom,

I believe Peter said you have to stretch the wall to the length it ultimately needs to be and then reshape it from there, presumable cutting backward.

Only problem to keep in mind is that the reshaper will not reshape to a vertical line...they say they are with the screen hints but zoom way in and you'll find that they actually aren't.

Opps!, Sorry Peter I was working offline and did not notice you had posted...

Edited by bc

Tom, probably a poor choice of words on my part. Here's what I think is happening and I very well could be wrong:

ChrisA has created a wall as shown in "wall 1" shown in grey.

ChrisA has fit to roof but he wants it to be like "wall 2".

ChrisA should start with a wall as wide(long) as "wall 3" and then use the reshape tool to drag and add the vertices for

the eventual shape of "wall 2".

This probably won't result in a perfectly true vertical wall line nor will it necessarily look as desired in plan but I was just suggesting to make the wall wider and reshape it after fitting to the appropriate roof or geometry.

Any clearer?

ChrisA....is this what you were asking for?

If you really only wanted to fit the left gable wall to roof simply run the fit walls to roof command or double click and reshape adding a peak.

Edited by bc

Nice explanation bc. One additional note: if you put the upper (longer and angled) walls into the roof layer (or their own layer) you will have better control over plan view visibility. Using your method would show the incorrect wall length in plan (and would need to be masked in the annotations or...) I would recommend leaving the main level walls at a consistent plate height (8' ?) and then copying and pasting them in place into the roof layer, then reshaping the upper/roof walls as desired...

"I would recommend leaving the main level walls at a consistent plate height (8' ?) and then copying and pasting them in place into the roof layer, then reshaping the upper/roof walls as desired..."

I love it!

With roofs and walls beneath it, The best way is always split the walls like this:

See attached file.

You will have better control over the walls, you can make 3D floorplans that view the inner things much better, you can better use the stories feature, You don't have to reshape walls a lot when your floorplan changes, Just better control, No unwanted lines in hidden line renders due to walls not being alligned vertically, ....

Edited by DWorks

I get the horizontal splitting of the wall and placing one each on the roof and plan layers...which is as Peter suggested but if you do not reshape you will have a wall in plan where you don't want it. Maybe you actually meant something like this in "wall 4"below:

Maybe ChrisA could get back to us here and describe his needs.

bc shows the upper portion of the wall but just to be clear here, there has to be-- presumably hidden in his last example--more wall running leftward through an assumed attic. Again, you can't reshape a wall into an unbalanced offshoot--my "Woody Woodpecker" reference.

In my first post I said I put these wall bits into another layer meaning I wanted to keep them from showing up in Plan view, same as has been suggested above.

Thanks, guys, for hanging in there with this and providing examples.

Tom

"...there has to be-- presumably hidden in his last example--more wall running leftward through an assumed attic."

Seems like it depends on how it is framed. If the main gable already exists and this is a remodel where the shed roofs are "cheated" onto the existing (assuming bearing requirements allow) the wall in between could just be filler.

At any rate, seems best we hear from ChrisA lest we all assume our way to you-know-where.

I get the horizontal splitting of the wall and placing one each on the roof and plan layers...which is as Peter suggested but if you do not reshape you will have a wall in plan where you don't want it.

That's where you are wrong. Split the wall like I have shown. You put the wall on top in the layer of the roof. You won't see it because of the roof in front of it. You can draw a roof in more than one layer you know.

I will make it clearer with some pictures...

Sorry, you posted while I was responding above.

Well. it looks like we are advocating the same thing now. Your first example showed the wall full width (my wall 3 example)and not reshaped.

Hey ChrisA, are you awake?

Sorry, you posted while I was responding above.

Well. it looks like we are advocating the same thing now. Your first example showed the wall full width (my wall 3 example)and not reshaped.

Well, it is full width like in your wall 3 example, but only the part of the wall that's under the roof, not the part that's on the lower floor layer. But that's because it has to be to be able to reshape it like it will be.

Edit: Ok, I got it now. We are talking about the same thing. ;)

Edited by DWorks

In Dworks image, at its center, in elevation view, outlined in blue, is the high wall that seems to have an offset pulled out, filling the void. Vwks won't allow you to model a wall in this way in which case the wall must run on into the attic. This is fine since framing would sometimes follow this path although the jack studs filling the gable are often stopped at the bottom of the adjoining rafter and so, in a perfect BIM world, the wall should be able to have the wing modeled into it.

In any case, wall bits must be inserted, fit to roof, and accounted for when changing siding types or revising floor plans. A grand unifying theory has yet to emerge.

Tom

Edited by Tom G.