Screen Plane won't step aside...

I pretty much want to always work in "Layer Plane," rather than "Screen Plane," when in design layers. Yet no matter how many times I set it to Layer Plane, with annoying and inconsistent frequency it reverts to Screen Plane when I return from sheet layers, most probably after working on viewports (I can't seem to identify exact steps or if it's just completely random...).

How do I get design layers to remain in Layer Plane mode until I change it?...

Thanks, Will

Even though I am a VW's lover, I feel that the screen plane layer plane thing is totally wrong. I think I understand why it's needed (to bridge older technology/code with new functions, or something close), but it feels like a sloppy workaround that was enacted due to a lack of a better, more transparent solution...

Further, in an ideal world software should be totally transparent, and VW's has become more and more obscure over the past few versions...

Like I said up front, it's still my software of choice, but it's becoming more and more cumbersome to use. I hope the engineers can do something to change that!

I think I understand why it's needed (to bridge older technology/code with new functions, or something close)

I think you are right

There have been some robust discussions about Screen Plane but mostly in relation to 3D modelling perhaps

Can anyone have a look at the VW File I posted above and make any sense of it at all?

I have heaps of what I call Legend Item symbols all Classed etc but they are in Screen Plane. Do I chuck them all and start again?

If I create a new symbol say tomorrow should it be done in Screen Planer or Layer Plane?

I think Layer Plane now is where all things should be and if not can someone give me a valid example of when Screen Plane should be used today?

Where is VW headed with this?

What should we be doing for say Legend Items now building them in Screen Plane or Layer Plane?

Can anyone have a look at the VW File I posted above and make any sense of it at all?

There is no bug, all works fine. The thing is that the 2D component of a symbol can only exist out of 2D objects on the screen plane. Although 2D objects on a 3D plane (even the layer plane) are still 2D, VW considers them as 3D when in a symbol. And I think thats the better way. That way, you can use 2D objects to represent your symbol in a 3D space if you want this.

So the screen plane has still got it's function:

- For the 2D component of symbols

- For things you never want to show in 3D views (And no the checkbox of not showing 2D objects on 3D planes isn't good for this because we also have 2D objects in a 3D plane that we do want to show)

Other than these two, I can't think of other uses, but these are anough to know that the screen plane must still exist until there is another way to define the 2D and 3D part of the drawing. I do agree that it's frustrating that VW switch planes from time to time withouth the user noticing it, making it hard to draw sometimes.