Drape Tool FAIL?

Good day All

I have been trying to model a Drape over a chair and it is just not doing what I need it too, in other words, not like it would be in real life if you clad a chair with a cover.(Drape3)

chair 1 is the rendered and chair 2 is the wire frame of what I have been able to do(custom) and how VW is handling this.

What am I doing wrong, or is this the way the tool works, which I see as a bug?

Maybe Im using it for the wrong purpose and should be using another tool to achive what I need.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

I think the chairs you are trying to replicate are either:

fitted drapes, or of a stretchy material. A true drape on a chair wouldn't conform to the form getting more slender from the back of the chair to the seat.

That said, the drape that VW provides looks like it's giving you the first step towards what you want, but you're going to have to tweak it a bit further to get that shape.

Thanks guys.

Horst that looks much better than what I could do but then you used nurbs. Maybe give a quick braekdown here as to how you got to the shape.

I would say it would look better with less pleats to make it look more streched.

Grant and bc:

The point Im trying to make here is that the VW drape tool does not work as it said to work, well as explained in the manuals.

Yes if i spent hours on it I probably would be able to get it as I want it, but then we back to the the discussion "is there a future for VW?" on the time wasting side.

I had the same problem when I draped the table in my previous discussion. Maybe if you go try it in that way it is better explained why I see it as a bug.

Go extrude a circle to 10mm and place at 700mm height. Drape it using the VW Drape Tool. The drape sits underneath the extruded surface and NOT draped over it as you would expect.

EDIT:

Added screenshot Wire-Hidden Line-OpenGL

Edited by cad@sggsa

I gave up on the drape tool nearly right away. Sometimes useful for DTM's. Seems like it is one of those features developed at the expense of fully realizing functionality of the others.

Edited by bc

When the Drape Surface tool was initially released, it was explained to me as being analogous to a "heat/vacuum formed plastic-esque" object such as might be used to package a product. Given this, it might be a good place to start for your desired task, but in and of itself, I believe it was never intended to do what you desire. So start there and tweak tweak tweak until you get what you need...

Thanks guys.

What is a DTM?

Interesting theory there Peter, but why call it a "Create Drape Surface" if it was not intended to "Drape" ??!!?? :cry:

Yet again VW being a time consuming, life draining creation.....unless you use other tools to create something they were not meant to do and make it work.

Alas, We the people have tried to steer this ship and make it better, but still we sit with tools not able to do what their name claims they can do.

Loving the tutorial there Horst. I will use it to improve my symbol now.

Why did you duplicate from step 3?

Edited by cad@sggsa
  • 2 months later...