Problems printing from PDFs exported from VW 2012

Steph

Instead of printing straight from VW we export to PDF & print from that. Sometimes when I make a PDF and plot it & there is a strange line or two going accross the page in the printed drawing but I can't see that line on my PDF. Most of the time it's fine, but randomly this will happen and the 'line(s)' are different every time. Is this a PDF, plotter or VW problem??? Any suggestions?

I thought you have also the option to print to pdf.

"Instead of printing straight from VW we export to PDF".

I was not so lucky with the export option, so I experimented with the print pdf option, there you can find the rasterize option.

But even that option sometimes has problems with transperency on my system.

Hope that helps

I don't know maybe it is also a Landmark feature and not inside the Fundamental Version.

Edited by Uli

I've only tried 'exporting' to PDF. The only time I 'printed' to PDF, with a different drawing, it made my whole drawing look like a Picasso painting and it permanently altered the VW file so that no matter how I exported or printed it after that it always turned out like the Picasso painting. So now as a rule we never 'print' to PDF because it seems to cause way worse problems! But I will try it on a copy of the file with the printing option you suggested and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for your help!

I believe that the problem is that some printers do not understand transparency so a number of work arounds are used, not always 100% successfully. The proper solution is for printing technology to catch up and implement a reliable rendition of transparency but in the meantime there are some workarounds to reduce the issue.

It's all in the knowledgbase and detailed towards the bottom of the article.

• 3 weeks later...

After years of suffering this transparency printing problem I chanced across a solution that works on several of our problem files.

Converting to PDF doesn't solve the issue, but if you convert the PDF to PostScript and then back to PDF, it will flatten the PDF and get rid of the problem. You'll need the full version of Acrobat to do it (File>Export>PostScript).

• 2 weeks later...
The proper solution is for printing technology to catch up and implement a reliable rendition of transparency but in the meantime there are some workarounds to reduce the issue.

I disagree. Nemetschek know this is a limitation of current printing protocols and effectively choose to ignore it by only outputting live transparency.

They can correct me if I'm wrong but Nemetschek need to provide some sort of flattened transparency option, as other well-known graphics programs do.

• 2 months later...
Sometimes when I make a PDF and plot it & there is a strange line or two going accross the page in the printed drawing but I can't see that line on my PDF. Most of the time it's fine, but randomly this will happen and the 'line(s)' are different every time. Is this a PDF, plotter or VW problem??? Any suggestions?

We occasionally get this problem as well. What we have found is that it is usually attributed to a polyline that is fairly big and attempting to close itself. Happens with contours and similar large polyline objects.

You can sometimes detect them when you zoom in close it might fill in or momentarily show a closed polyline. Polygons are usually better to work with in this case, you can convert it to a polygon by decomposing the offending line and composing it again...

But otherwise you'll have to somehow turn the PDF into an image file and back to PDF again...