Sending files with referenced drawings - procedure?

I am having tremendous problems with a design client, who sends me very large exhibition drawing files. They tend to use referenced files for items like the building the exhibition is in, plus various separate exhibition areas.

They need to send me the file for me to add my layer of work, and tell me they are 'purging' (I assume they are deleting the links, since the 'Purge' command does something different) all of the referenced layers before sending the files to me. However, on opening, I am always told the links are missing, and if the drawing continues to open, I have none of the information I need.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what they need to do, but simply, if they ticked 'Save referenced files to cache' before saving it & sending it to me, would that solve my problem, or simply should they send me all of the referenced files?

I don't understand why Vectorworks doesn't have a package command, similar to the Autocad function that puts all of the drawings and references into a single archive to be sent, or have I missed it?

Jonathan

Jon, are you both working on VW? Or are either of you on a different platform? Whatever the platforms, what versions are being used?

Are you able (is the work sensitive) to either upload the file or perhaps post screen shots. Looking for what is says is broken, what it looks like when it is open and also what shows in the Resource Browser in terms of References, Layers and perhaps any class information?

Thanks for the answers.

The problem is basically my client either a. forgets to send me the referenced files or b. doesn't send them, as it makes the transfer too large - in the example above, the base file they are sending is 350MB. I can't believe that none of the referenced information is present in a file of that size, but without the reference files being present all I get is the outline of the museum and all of the (now blank) design sheets they have prepared.

What I would really like in VW is a 'snapshot' button, that sends the file with the referenced data *as it was at the moment the file was saved*. The 'snapshot' could then know that it was saved one-time, and not go looking for updates. A useful wish list item?

The workaround at the moment is for my client to export their .vwx file as a .dwg (which reduces its size by 2/3rds, incidentally) and for me to re-import that back into Vectorworks. How stupid is that?

I hope Nemetschek reads these threads, because it's pretty clear where we're going. If I need to use Autocad to work in Vectorworks, why bother to re-import the file back into Vectorworks? I might as well just carry on in Autocad. Which my colleagues are already pressing me to do.

What I would really like in VW is a 'snapshot' button, that sends the file with the referenced data *as it was at the moment the file was saved*. The 'snapshot' could then know that it was saved one-time, and not go looking for updates. A useful wish list item?

If I'm not mistaken, this is what you can do in VW. You have to check the options of saving the references in the drawing. That way, they are actually in the drawing and when VW doens't find the referenced files, you still can see the last version.

The problem is basically my client either a. forgets to send me the referenced files or b. doesn't send them, as it makes the transfer too large

There are other ways to send files other than normal mail. I can't believe the files would be too large. You can always zip them all together. Maybe they need to purge the files? Or there may be info in their drawings that isn't there for anything?

Another thing that can add to the file size is the viewport cache. Uncheck this options in the document settings.

Edited by DWorks

Not only could they zip them, but also they can further split the zip files so you download and need all 4 of 4 say.

That said, it sounded like you do not always need all the information when you mention other areas etc.

It sounds like a bullet point sit down/call needs to be had between you. Passing of information is always a delicate thing that everyone wants to make sure is right and usable.