Best way to model window split over two walls?

Another way to cut the slot in the other wall is to use a symbol having only the 2D component and the 3D hole component. That way you can get the appearance you want in both walls and have the slot accurately formed. See example in attached file.

If you have a complete strip window then the best way I've found is to have separate windows on each floor with them overlapping each other by the height of the horizontal frame members.

I have used the wall recess tool in the past as a workaround for this problem.

See attached - the window object is on Level 2 and there is a wall recess object on level 1.

The 2d representation on level 1 can be whatever you like as it just needs to show up when you produce a VP plan.

There are also option in the wall recess object to control what is shown in plan - i.e. "no break", "full break with caps", "full break without caps"

Hi...

There is obviously no specific way to do this. Each method has it's pros and cons. But the one you decide on, should be one that suits your needs.

My method (not necessarily the best), would be to create a double height wall on a separate layer, and place the window in this wall at the right height.

As it is one window, you can see it on both floors (if you need to), and changes only have to be done once. So, it'll work in plan, with relatively little hassle in making changes, and of course, it'll work in elevation pretty seamlessly.

My 2 cents!

HTH

Another way to cut the slot in the other wall is to use a symbol having only the 2D component and the 3D hole component. That way you can get the appearance you want in both walls and have the slot accurately formed. See example in attached file.

If you have a complete strip window then the best way I've found is to have separate windows on each floor with them overlapping each other by the height of the horizontal frame members.

This is my favourite if the window is spanning two levels.

I have used the wall recess tool in the past as a workaround for this problem.

See attached - the window object is on Level 2 and there is a wall recess object on level 1.

The 2d representation on level 1 can be whatever you like as it just needs to show up when you produce a VP plan.

There are also option in the wall recess object to control what is shown in plan - i.e. "no break", "full break with caps", "full break without caps"

I think this is my favourite where the window spans two different walls types but remains at one level of the building. A variation would be to use a PIO window instead of the wall recess, but set to create an opening only (although I'm guessing this would then show up on our window schedule when we don't want it to)