Cordinates relative to lighting postion and not origin

Has anyone had any luck on exporting the position of a lighting fixture relative to the start of a lighting position and not the origin. I.E.

The start of a 10'lighting position starts at (10',15') with 5 fixtures evenly spaced with the first fixture 5" from the start of the lighting position. instead of the first fixture being at (10'5",15') I would just like to have the measurement of (0'5"). Of course I would want this to happen in any axis of the x and y planes.

I know this involves some complex math, and I would even be willing to purchase a plug-in if someone was able to create this option

Thanks

Greg Pfrommer

Marietta, GA

Hi Greg;

Your plan makes perfect sense if the measuring method you describe emulates the measuring actions that will be taken by the electricians hanging the show. The problem i see is in consistency.

**if** all of the hanging positions start from the same distance from centerline, then changing the origin to that point makes sense. if all the overhead dead-hung battens uniformly terminate at 10'-5" SL of centerline, for example, then make the end of those battens the new "X" zero.

the problem is if all the hanging positions **don't** start from the same "X" distance from centerline. if you need to reset the origin for each of the hypothetical battens, and their SL termination point is each a different distance from centerline, your plan [i think] runs afoul.

as i understand it, you can only have one origin point at any time in any drawing. [i just tried to create a new drawing with four layers, and change the origin on each layer. no luck. the last origin is still the only origin].

so if you change the origin on the 1st electric to 10'-5" SL of centerline, but then you have to change the origin to 11'-3" SL of centerline [a different starting point for the 2nd electric]--once you've done that, the distance readout for the 1st electric units will change to reflect the new 2nd electric origin.

the only way i can think to end with the result that you want is to enter in hard distance data into an open OIP user field. this would then remain unchanged, no matter what the origin is. yeah, not the answer you were hoping for....

maybe someone else will have a clever trick?

good luck,

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

I would agree with your thinking, My hopes is that someone might be able to write an add on that would take a coordinate from the hanging position and each lighting fixture and do the math to give a distance from a set point, either the start or center of the hanging positions.

G

Edited by G. Pfrommer