HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A a new user of two weeks and former AutoCAD snob i am still coming to terms with learning Vectorworks 9, So a little help would be appreciated. I am only using this as a 2D drafting tool at Present ( babysteps and all that)Could someone let me know the following:

Is there a method of linking seperate drawings files like Xrefs in AutoCAD?? i realise you can link layers but this is not much help for numerous users on the one drawing??????

This will probably be the first of many such emails as my company are too mean to pay for training!!!!!

Thanks ( in anticipation)

BAZ

OK mr palo alto smarty pants when's the tutorial coing out.You obviously have a clear, precise and kind way of explaining things.

BAZ there is an old tutorial here NNA How To I'm not sure if it's any good but it might help you out.Also in the VW Architect manual I think you can find some help.

Good LuckM

Ok Marc, didn't want to be smart, is just thatsometimes words like Workgroup references and layer links scare people much more then they should.

The NNA tutorial is crazy, forget about it.

Start with a very simple situation to see how it works.

Create 2 files, one called 1 and the other 2,both on your desktop. In one create a layer calledplan and draw a rectangle in it, none class.

Create a class called floor pattern, assigning a pattern to that class.

Inside the rectangle draw another one, smaller, with the floor pattern class as the active one, so you get that little patterned area inside the bigger rectangle.

Open the second file, go to workgroup referencesadd one by clciking New, look for the file called 1 and select the layer plan. Choose automatic if you like.

You'll get a layer with that name into file 2 showing the same rectangle.

If you want to turn off the patterned area, just turn off the proper class.

Go to file 1 and change soemthing, or add something in the plan layer.

Go to file 2 and refresh the reference, you'll see the modifications appear.

Now where do the referenced elements appear?In the same location in file 1 relative to the origin,i.e. 3'0" left of and 2'6" below the center of the page, as in file 1.

So if your second document, file 2, has the origin in another place, the objects will show up in a different location relative to your page.

Now your referenced squares are locked. If you unlock them you'll loose the referencing capability.

So how do I move them, rotate them, duplicate them?

From layer 1 (is already in your document)file 2,go View, create layer link, choose plan layer, project 2d. The rectagles will show up in layer 1.Turn off the plan layer to avoid confusion.

Select the layer link ( the rectangles) unlock it,and now rotate it and move it, copy and duplicate it too.

Go back to file 1, do other changes, refresh reference on file 2, you'll see them appear on file 2 in the referenced layer (plan) as well as in the layer links on layer 1.

Done, more to say then to do it.

Giovanni;Thank you for your in depth tutorial. I have always wondered what workgroup referencing was, but was afraid to ask.

Thanks to your help, I will now venture into this new uncharted territory.

Since you obviously know how to use this feature, what do you use it for?

Kevin, you are welcome, like TitaniumSamurai said, any time you need to repeat the base plan.

I used to use it when working in a small officeon a multistory house for example, I would be doing modifications to the "model" (not the 3d one)just the base plan, with all the architectural features such as walls, windows, doors, stairs, etc while other people would reference the 2 stories (and the roof) as background and put all the notes, dimensions, clouds, markers and also, electrical plan on it and Rcp.

I would tell them when I did some modifications to the main plan, and they would update theirs.

Another unusual but cool use of the WG Ref.

I have more then one building, or a large one that I split in more parts on different files.

I have legend of notes that have to stay the same throughout the project.I create the notes legends on one file only, file A for example.

Make them a symbol.

Put a copy of that symbol on a layer called ?exchange? with other symbols in common with the other files.

Referenced that layer into the other files where you locate your symbols where needed.

Modify, add notes into the file A.

Refresh the reference (actually leave it automatic) to the Exchange layer and get all the symbols, notes legends updated into the other file, without any layer link etc.