Brickwork coursing to line elevations of 3D model?

• 1 month later...

The Extract Tool has a mode for Extract Surface.

This will create independent planer objects on the face of your walls. Add to these polygons your 2d brick hatch. Use the Attribute Mapping tool to control origin.

These polygons won't change with future changes of wall openings or shape.

Hatch will show in viewport elevation views and 3d views as well.

However, if you are creating brick with textures already you will want to turn these surface hatches off. Use them in black and white elevation views or over solid color brick walls without texture. I create classes for ease of applying the hatch and turning them off when I don't want to see them.

Another caution...these vertical planer objects are no different from the 2d planer objects you might draw on your floor plan that show in 3d view aligned to the layer base. If you normally toggle planer objects off in the OIP in your elevation viewports (they appear as lines in side view of the plan) you will also turn off your brick at the same time. You have to use your class and layer structure to get around this conflict.

Forget it, we've given up and gone back to 2D.

We couldn't replicate our simple, coloured, hatched elevations showing brickwork at the correct coursing without essentially re-drawing the 2D elevations over the top of the 3D model.

If 2013 doesn't deliver we'll give Revit a try.

The Extract Tool has a mode for Extract Surface.

This will create independent planer objects on the face of your walls. Add to these polygons your 2d brick hatch. Use the Attribute Mapping tool to control origin.

These polygons won't change with future changes of wall openings or shape.

Hatch will show in viewport elevation views and 3d views as well.

However, if you are creating brick with textures already you will want to turn these surface hatches off. Use them in black and white elevation views or over solid color brick walls without texture. I create classes for ease of applying the hatch and turning them off when I don't want to see them.

Another caution...these vertical planer objects are no different from the 2d planer objects you might draw on your floor plan that show in 3d view aligned to the layer base. If you normally toggle planer objects off in the OIP in your elevation viewports (they appear as lines in side view of the plan) you will also turn off your brick at the same time. You have to use your class and layer structure to get around this conflict.

This does the job but not economically. The way we've done it is to add a 2D polygon to the annotations layer of the viewport. Also uneconomic but simpler.

Actually I couldn't get this to work. I can apply the hatch but it doesn't show in any render mode, including hidden line.