Window/Door Tool: allow user to define opening configurations

Christiaan

Question

There are various window sash configurations and door opening configurations missing from the window and door tools. See below for the ones I can think of.

I'd like NV to support these (ASAP) but another approach could be to provide us users the ability to define them ourselves within the tool interface.

Things we need to configure would be 2D plan representation, elevational representation (namely the hinge direction marker), 3D aspects such as if and how it opens and schedule data. And then the infill types. Potentially difficult to implement but at least then we'll be able to add our own types, as window manufacturers come up with them, instead of having to wait for NV.

In fact this principle could be applied to parametric objects in general, not just the window tool.

Sash configurations:

1. Fixed glass, i.e. sashless (currently only a fixed sash can be created, currently called a "Fixed light")

2. Tilt n turn (implemented, but the ability to choose opening side still needs to be implemented and they need to remain inward opening at all times)

3. Easy-clean side-hung

4. Fully reversible

5. Single sliding horizontal sash (at the moment horizontal sliding sash splits each sash into two when applied)

6. Centre-pivot

7. Sliding sashless

8. Round windows

Infill types:

9. Fixed insulated panels

10. Frameless panels

11. Louvre vents

12. Louvre windows

13. Glass block

Door configurations:

14. Double acting

15. Fixed door

16. Various missing folding configurations

17. Various missing sliding configurations

18. Stacking

19. Overhead rolling

20. Overhead tilting

21. Overhead sectional

22. Overhead folding

23. Pivot

24. Wall hung sliding

25. Louvre doors

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2

14 answers to this question

I would like the ability to insert multiple post/mail boxes into the sidelights of communal doors.

(This is not at the top of my list of things needed to be sorted out with the door tool, but maybe consider this ability in the future?)

attached is an image of what i would like to do

Customization within the door leaf is possible. Choose custom from the Leaf tab of the Door Settings menu. Make your own custom leaf symbol and reference it here.

We use this to create custom carriage overhead garage doors. The 3d leaf symbol will reshape to the opening size so small changes in width or height does not require a new symbol unless you are specific about your proportions.

Also used this feature to make dutch doors. Your mailbox door would be a good application.

Joe

I can see how my image could be mistaken for a garage door.

It is actually some curtain walling with a series of fixed windows and a door. The image is an elevational view taken from our window schedule. I think the door with side light tool could be developed further to allow more sidelights to achieve what I am after

This is how we normally graphically reference our schedules, it would also be good if it would be easier to do this within VW as previously discussed in this thread:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=170308

I'd also like an option to create an extrusion-based window geometry from a detail section. That way the windows would finally be geometrically correct. We have triple and even quadruple glazing in different configurations, different types of sills etc etc. This lack of attention to architects' most important tools is amazing. 

Edit: Often we get a detail section of the window from a manufacturer -> easy to set up an extrusion. While it is possible via custom symbol, due to the time required that is not feasible.

Edited by JMR
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, JMR said:

I'd also like an option to create an extrusion-based window geometry from a detail section. That way the windows would finally be geometrically correct. We have triple and even quadruple glazing in different configurations, different types of sills etc etc. This lack of attention to architects' most important tools is amazing. 

Edit: Often we get a detail section of the window from a manufacturer -> easy to set up an extrusion. While it is possible via custom symbol, due to the time required that is not feasible.

Nice, this really deserves it's own wish. If you want to post one on the forum I'll create sister one in the JIRA and link to it.