parametric object

I want to create a very simple symbol (Detail Title with a line under) that the length of the line can vary depending on a value the user can enter?

What is the best way to tackle this, i don;t see a way to create a parametric object without digging into the developer tools?

Jim

VW 2011

MPB 2.2 i7

4GB Ram

or

you can use the Drawing Label tool in the Dim/Notes toolset and

select None for Number Style, Scale Display Style and Bubble style and

change the Line Length Mode to Fixed in the OIP.

The user can enter the Printed Length and enter the Drawing Title.

granted you can't change the text alignment but that may be worth a wishlistlisting

My personality is more of an artist than a mathematics geek so my eyes glaze over when I look at anything that's code based.

I understand what you're saying about the Drawing Label and I know what you're saying is possible but I'm using your example of the "margin" as being restrictive and you're left at the mercy of the coder to fix that issue (if the margin was an issue for you). However, your example of the margin is not the only example of hard coded PIO's being a nuisance. What if your drawing office had a standard that didn't conform to a Bubble Style of Circle, Round Rect or Rectangle? This would become a problem. All PIO's have issues like this. PIO's CANNOT cover all scenarios all over the world therefore PIO's are not a global solution.

NemV has to come out with a different solution like Dynamic Blocks/Symbols where 2D and 3D geometry are controlled by parametric 2D and 3D dimensions and 2D and 3D constraints. Maybe then it will compete with Revit's parametric components.

I came from an autodesk background, used autoCAD arch desktop, land development, and a host of other AutoCAD solutions... Looking back i have spent a fortune on Autodesk Licences... I love VW. I have hit some frustrating limitations with VW, but nothing like the 2 decades of frustrations with AutoDesk related products. I agree there should be a way to accomplish this...

Jershuan the Drawing Label object is more than a simple graphic object. It has links to a Viewport's name and scale and is part of the Automatic Drawing Coordination system. A 'dynamic component' Drawing Label object would allow for total control of its graphic appearance but it would be at the expense of those other functions.

If users need or want other graphic forms for the Drawing Label object then they should ask for them. My experience is that NV do respond to user request when the demand is there.

I would be happy to use the VW Drawing Label, i just need to customize it to suite my client drawing standards... You really should be able to update the graphic look of it?

Any ideas?

img]   [img]

VW 2011 SP5

Mac 10.7.3

MPB 2.2 i7

4 GB ram

Jershuan the Drawing Label object is more than a simple graphic object. It has links to a Viewport's name and scale and is part of the Automatic Drawing Coordination system. A 'dynamic component' Drawing Label object would allow for total control of its graphic appearance but it would be at the expense of those other functions.

If users need or want other graphic forms for the Drawing Label object then they should ask for them. My experience is that NV do respond to user request when the demand is there.

1. I haven't had my bugs sorted out so don't even suggest asking for a feature. Anyway look at the wish list and you tell me how many of those have been answered with the release of vw 2012?

2. Revit allows for user control of the graphic appearance and it still maintains excellent drawing co-ordination.

3. Vw's drawing co-ordination is no comparison to Revit's so it's not like a great loss if we were allowed control of the graphic appearance at the sacrifice of drawing co-ordination.

4. I don't use any of vw PIO's because of what I mentioned in the previous post, therefore vw fails as a BIM tool for me.