Modelling rainwater pipes

This query also applies to soil vent pipes, dry risers, etc.

The thing is we usually label our RWPs and SVPs on floor plans with a unique identifier too. And we typically label RWPs with the size of pipe.

How do we do all of this but do it in 3D? Symbols aren't particularly useful because the pipes vary so much in height, so we'd end up with a proliferation of symbols. They also wouldn't deal with offsets, changes in direction, etc.

How are people modelling rainwater pipes generally? Simple extrude? One section of pipe per floor?

Edit: looking for the quickest cleanest way to intersect extrudes/pipes too, where pipes have a change in direction.

I've made a few typical profiles for the gutters and pipes and either extrude along path (around the roof perimeter) or just do a straight up extrudes of the pipe along a wall, size accordingly. For areas of changes in direction or around other objects, you'll create a path and extrude along path the same profile as the connector or elbows etc... I've also created a few typical brackets>created symbols for the attachment pieces.

As far as imparting and extracting BIM data I'm not sure how much you would want; Collision Control? etc...

You can create symbols for most of the connectors or elbows and pretty easily count those out and the rest would be mostly the linear length of sections for cost estimates.

It would be nice if there was a Gutter Roof Object available like the facia option and choose a couple different profiles- I know that some other programs have that, but once you get pretty good in accurately creating the path objects it can be pretty quick work (at least for my, smaller residential sized projects)

• 7 months later...
Hi everybody!

My free "Pluviali" plugin allows the creation of very simple downspouts in Vectorworks. Check it out :)

www.andreafacchinello.it

Really nice Andrea, thank you for sharing!

I customized it a little (I removed the italian in the dialog and changed the tool icon) I hope you don't mind.....for those of you that are interested:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8402&filename=Drainpipe.png

Edited by Vincent C

That's great!

For the "Pro" version, it would be nice if you could change the profile of the downpipe.

better still, an all in one downpipe and gutter tool! I would be willing to pay a fair price for it as well.

Bring on the plug-in store.

Edited by Kizza

Really nice Andrea, thank you for sharing!

I customized it a little (I removed the italian in the dialog and changed the tool icon) I hope you don't mind.....for those of you that are interested:

I'm happy you appreciate it, thanks for customization. If you send me the icon I can change mine too. I will update it in the future with a rectangular profile.

I started creating this tool with the idea to create a gutters tool too, but I haven't so much time. If somebody wants to create it and share It would be great!

If you send me the icon I can change mine too. I will update it in the future with a rectangular profile.

I couldn't find your personal email Andreas so I'll just post it here:

I started creating this tool with the idea to create a gutters tool too, but I haven't so much time. If somebody wants to create it and share It would be great!

I would if I could but I'm afraid I'm not at all good at scripting .......customizing your plugin is probably as complicated as I can deal with :grin: .....

If I may submit a little wish for future development, it would be nice if we could change the line type of the first piece of pipe and add a label in Top/Plan view, like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8405&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202012-12-08%20kl.%2013.07.12.png

Edited by Vincent C
That's great! I would be willing to pay a fair price for it as well.

Are you sure about that?

And what do you consider a fair price?

I think that would very much depend on the functionality of the downpipe/gutter plug-in and how it would work. Will it work as an additional component of the roof? Or will the user apply the gutter using the set working plane tool on the roof's edge? Will the corners auto-join? Will the user be able to load his/her own profiles?

Are you thinking about developing one?

Would be handy to be able to turn off the 2D display of the elbow too.

Although I've just noticed if you turn off the 2D display you can create an auto-hybrid out of it instead.

In fact you should be able to achieve the look you want in this way too Vincent.

Edited by Christiaan
Would be handy to be able to turn off the 2D display of the elbow too.

Although I've just noticed if you turn off the 2D display you create an auto-hybrid out of it instead.

In fact you should be able to achieve the look you want in this way too Vincent.

Another reason the auto-hybrid needs to have multi DL capabilities. In this case if the drainpipe spans more than one floor it needs to be visible on all respective DLs.

Another reason the auto-hybrid needs to have multi DL capabilities. In this case if the drainpipe spans more than one floor it needs to be visible on all respective DLs.

There is a workaround of sorts for this. Display it in 2D/3D on one layer and then copy paste it to the others but change it to 2D only for those layers.