Window Boards (Window Stools)

Not sure how we missed this one in the UK localisation of the window terminology, but window stools should be called window boards in the UK version. I had to google what a 'window stool' was supposed to be...

Can anyone get window boards/stools to work correctly for modern windows with deep window boards? I've no idea why they are lumped in with sills...you don't seem to be able to add a window board without adding a sill. The little diagram in the dialog box looks like the window sill of some nineteenth century colonial cabin and when I set a modern 250mm deep window board, with a short external cill, the sill and board sit in the wrong place relative to the window itself. Any ideas?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6951&filename=window%20board.png

The Vectorworks window sill needs updating thoroughly.

This sill arrangement is unrecognisable in the UK:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6956&filename=Ye%20Olde%20Windowe%20Sill.png

Here is a typical modern window sill arrangement (uPVC window):

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6957&filename=UK%20sill.png

And the optional stone/brick sill below a window is called a sub-sill:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6958&filename=UK%20sill%20and%20sub-sill.png

VW needs to handle window sills and sub sills independently because a sill is part of the window assembly and needs to be included within the frame size and within the structural opening (rough opening), but a sub sill is part of the masonry and is not part of the opening.

Window boards also needs to be handled separately.

Edited by Chris D

And while I'm on a rant...the world went metric in the last century or the one before that!

Just because you americans stick to your quaint olde imperial hands and feet and thumb-inches measurements (alone with Burma and Liberia), we don't want them!

Every little default in the PIOs is some random factor of 25.4mm from your stupid thumb-inches! Gaahhh!

Go metric! It's the 21st Century!

Chris D,

BTW,

Here is the states, new double hung windows typically have (1) sill which is essentially your sub sill.

Replacement windows leave the jambs and sub sill intact, although we can order them with new sub sills also.

This applies to casement windows as well.

Here is a section of Andersen Casement windows

Hey be careful...there's some modern measurements on there in brackets...the Amish wouldn't like those.

Don't you think 73mm is easier than 2 and 7/8" ?

How do you cope with decimal inches mixed with fractional inches??? Whats 5/8" + 6.3" ?? How do you cope with it at all? It's so much easier to add 16mm to 160mm to get 176mm. You guys must make mistakes all the time....no wonder you still build like the Amish.

Its all a bit backwards still. Canada is a metric country but so much stuff is still built using Imperial measurements, mostly because of stock materials. When I worked with an Australian colleague on the Olympics, I joked with him about material sizes and the elusive sheet of metric plywood. 4'x8' is a pretty simple size to do calculations with until you metricize it - 1219MM x 2438mm is not intuitive at all. Now 1200mm x 2400mm, that make way more sense....

Kevin

Thread hijack theme: As an American, I would gladly ditch Imperial units for metric. (and while we officially don't use decimal inches, I somehow have lots of practice doing decimal conversions for eights (and occasionally sixteenths...) in my head) In all seriousness, CAD helps a lot, but how many millions of dollars a year are lost to mistakes in adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing base ten feet, base 12 inches and base 2 fractions? It clearly happens all the time...

OP's original points: I would welcome a window type like the "typical modern window" with the sub-sill for commercial brick&block with fixed aluminum windows. (But it would be nice to turn the window stool/board off and have the drywall wrap back in for clerestory windows and similar.)

Also, regarding US vs. UK vs. Irish vs. Aus/NZ vs. Indian vs. other English localization - given the endless list of arbitrary jargon, truly localizing seems like a nearly impossible task...

(woops.. I forgot about Canada in the list of types of English that have their own construction jargon - eaves troughs, eh?)

regarding US vs. UK vs. Irish vs. Aus/NZ vs. Indian vs. other English localization - given the endless list of arbitrary jargon, truly localizing seems like a nearly impossible task...

Far from impossible localisation is actually quite straightforward. VW and most other software I know of has the facility built in. It's simply a matter NV or local distributors inputting the relevant localisations.

• 5 months later...