Don't use the Stage Object

bcd

Thanks for that Horst - that's pretty interesting. Others here are having this issue also so I'd like to help resolve it.

Can you run it again in Top/Plan please.

Did you try importing the resulting dwg back into VW?

Thanks

Brian

The reimport works also.

I mean just for the geometry textures and Solids are lost, but that's normal for the process ... I think.

The Stage(s) reimort as a couple of 3D Polygons.

Will try now on my Laptop as well. (different OS)

Same Situation with OSX10.6 and OX10.5

Tried also Export from ACAD2004 to ACAD2012 wihtout Problems.

The Geometry comes back after reimport as a Bunch of 3D Polygons.

Strange. What else could cause the Problem?

Reread your recent request.

Yep.

Your Guess was right,

Export in Top/Plan View ignores the Stage Object, and produces an empty dwg File.

Edited by Horst M.

Hi Brian.

I thought the Workarround would be to export in a 3D View?

If just 2D is used, why make it a Stage object at all, and not just leave it a Polygon.

I hardly see an advantage of th Stage object anyway, its an extrude, with selction window for the top and the Rest.

just curious,

May be there are hidden treasures :-)

Yes, I'm questioning its usefulness too. It's a hybrid object which can take a 2d fill & 3d texture.

When using the Event planning tools the center of the stage provides a focus point for the seating layout - automatically sets a podium height and provides an interface for top & side textures.

It's seldom that any of these features are actually necessary or useful however.

The issue with 2d/3d is that a show will be created in full 3d and exported in Top/Plan and also in 3d rendered views via Sheet Layer pdfs.

It's important to exchange data with vendors using dwg export and often the 2d representation is the most appropriate - so any hybrid object exports as 2d in top/plan, (unless it's a disappearing Stage).

Yes, I take your point however that a 3d export is also an option for some scenarios.

Surprising find you made.

The Stage Object, converts to a Floor Object !,

further converted it becomes 3D Polygons

and looses all the textures. ... o mann

Thanks for sharing your workflow.

I use mostly Symbols for that with 2d and 3d Component.

Over the time, I made Symbols for Stage Elements, with simple 2D Parts, and relatively realistic 3D Parts. If I built a Stage with them, I have a good 3D layout, and for the 2D Rep, I put a Marley or Carpet Floor Object (Ya, I use this PIO) on Top, which is normally needed anyway

I didn't find It useful, to have Elements represented by a too simple 3D Approximations.

Renderings with such look like made of Building Blocks, which i find not so interesting,

and helpful. And I don't need to hunt workarrounds for PIO effects.

Edited by Horst M.