Renderworks

Are there different licence serial numbers for PC's and Mac's for Renderworks.

I tried to install Renderworks on my home PC, I work on a Mac in the office. The serial number worked fine for Vectorworks, but when I type in the RW serial number to get Renderworks up and running It says incorrect format or some such. I thought both applications were shipped to be installable on either PC's or Mac's, serial numbers and all. At least I thought this when I bought my Dell to get rendering work done while I am at home.

Most inconvenient.

The applications themselves, and at least some support files, will work on one platform or another only. Therefore, a copy of each is burned onto distribution CD's. Both versions are on a CD so that NNA doesn't need to keep track of what version is on what CD. I may be mistaken on that point...

The serial numbers are platform-specific, I believe. I'm surprised that your Windoze copy worked with a Mac SN...

The serial number for a Mac should not have worked on a PC, unless an illegal change was made in the serial number for it to work on the PC.

Titatnium Samaurai is correct in the reasoning behind the Cds. There's no sense in having seperate CDs for a mac install and a pc install when it will all fit on one CD and the serial number is the true difference.

oo-er

I guess I should take VW off my PC then and forget the serial number. I didn't realize it was illegal.

Not that it matters. I haven't used it much at home anyway. I thought it would be nifty to be able to work at home and complete models and renderings that I started in the office but then I get home and I think

Nah, I'd rather be out in my workshop.

But it raises the question. If an office has PC's and Macs operating in the same office, and it does happen. Things aren't as Black and White as they might appear. Can you get combined licenses that allow Vectorworks to be moved from Mac to PC or a 5 pack say with licenses in it for both PC's and Macs.

We all thought we could do that, and we have a PC in the office that was supposed to do double duty as a drafting station. (not that it has panned out that way, but it could have)

Does this mean we would have to go and purchase yet another licence in order to use the PC even if we haven't used all the serial numbers in our five pack?????

Yes, you can purchase a bundle of serial numbers for both platforms.

We sell the serial numbers per platform which is why the sales rep asks which platform you are using. This is one way to track the number mac vs pc users we have.

If you have a mac serial number for use at work and you want to install it on your mac at home, technically that is against the license agreement. You should purchase an additional license per computer per the agreement. In the agreement it states a serial number can only be used on one computer and cannot be installed on another computer. The exception made to that rule is if you have several computers on a network and want to install all the serial numbers on each computer and let the network pick a serial number for you. We do allow this.

We are not the only software that abides to this rule. The same holds true for many MS products, and just about every other software manufacturer out there. You cannot use the same MS Office Suite serial numbers on your work computer as you do on your home computer. You would have to purchase an additional license for the home use.

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

This is interesting, I must have skipped over this subtle change in the liscensing agreement. (See below) If I'm not mistaken the agreement for MiniCad7 was the same for VW8, and I was of the understanding that I could operate my licensed copy on one machine at a time... at work or at home.As I don't use VW for any commercial work and the upgrades come out of my pocket, to have two (2) licenses is prohibitive.... So this is progress?

VW8.5.2 The Buyer May:Operate the software on one computer at a time. Make one back-up copy of the software, which is automatically subject to this agreement.

VW9.5.2 The Buyer May:Install and operate this software on one computer at a time. Make one back-up copy of the software, which is automatically subject to this agreement.Modify unprotected VectorScript routines provided with this software.