View Rotating/Aligning

You can create a working plane that is at a 45 degree angle (or any angle) in 3d space. You can then use that as a reference plane and draw objects at that angle.

Make sure after you create the working plane, you add it to the working plane palette with another name other than the ground plane. OTherwise, you will not be able to go back to the ground plane without recreating another ground plane.

Sometimes, when I need to work on a site plan which is not exactly N/S aligned, but want to work with straight lines, etc. for accuracy, I will group all the relevant objects then rotate them to properly orient. Then I ungroup and do whatever is needed, then re-group and un-rotate. It is a little cumbersome but not really so bad. PLC

Katie,

Yes, you can draw 2D objects that appear to be aligned with a working plane's coordinates, but . . . if you go back to standard top view, you will see that those objects aren't really rotated with respect to standard coordinates. In fact, the 2D coordinate system seems to be totally unaffected by changes in the 3D working plane alignment. Only if objects are converted to 3D will they remain rotated with respect to standard coordinates when you shift back to standard coordinates.

We want to preserve the 2D-3D interface essentially as it now works, but have the ability to rotate the view and operation of tools for 2D operations.

CipesDesign: I used to use your technique, but now use layer links to do the same thing more painlessly. Do your orthogonal work on one layer, and link that layer (make sure you check the 2D objects box)to the one that contains your site background info. Unlock and rotate/position the layer link. Then any updates you do will be automatically transferred via layer link.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Another way to do this that I jhave found, while not as handy as rotatiing the view, is to rotate the grid. You can then use the constrained tools for accuracy, though you still have to tip your head... smile.gif" border="0

While this doesn't soud too cool, the nice thing is that things when you use the constrained dimesion tool in this fashion it behaves like a constrained dimension even after you put the grid back to normal. so when somehting moves it is an easy fix to adjust that dimension, not the complete pain it is witht he unconstrained dimension tool.

Thanks, Ion! That's a great method. I've seen the grid angle option on its menu many times, and never stopped to think what it might do besides display the blue lines at an angle.

NNA: Still not a UCS. Things which don't work in the coordinate system created by rotating the grid: the move command, stretching (resize cursor), editing via info palette. These tools still operate with respect to the "page" coordinate system. Also, the only rotated constraints activated by the "shift" key are the two primary directions of the rotated grid. Other constraints, as set in preferences, still operate with respect to the page.

Surely with all the code that has gone into these rotated coordinate capabilities, it can only be a short leap to a fully capable rotated coordinate system.

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Sorry I don't have a suggestion, but I do have a wish list feature that would seemingly do what you all want, a full screen, cross-hair cursor that you whose angle or coordinates you define so that you can edit objects based on the cursor orientation. A toggle keyboard command would be great to be able to edit, say, between different angled objects. I've noticed a similar feature while working in 3-D and Renderworks. It would be nice to have this similar feature in 2-D.

Thanks guys. They are all good ideas and will improve the way i work but still not as good as simply being able to rotate the view without affect the way our 2d tools work. The best way that i have found so far is to make a symbol out of all of the rotated objects (before they are rotated) and then work within the symbol which remains unrotated. It can get a little messy. I used work in both Autocad and Microstation and took this feature for granted. I will add it to the wish list and hope our thoughts will be listened to and granted in the next version.....!