When pasting an object it should be placed where you just clicked

Christiaan

Question

When pasting an object the expectation is that you can click first where you want it to be placed.

This is a thread to record all the scenarios in v2012 in which objects are not placed where the user just clicked.

1. When in rotated view if you copy and paste an object that was previously placed in an unrotated view (or comes from a wall that was placed in an unrotated view) the object will not be placed where you just clicked.

2 answers to this question

I think this is because of the whole planar objects thing?

I think planar objects are great, but the user interface with them really needs some refinement. I think what you're describing is a function of the pure logic employed by the computer when it comes to planar objects. I think they need to change it so it's less "computer-centric" and more "user-centric." If I'm in a side view and I copy a planar profile, and then I go to a top view and paste it, most likely I want to see it as I just saw it, and not an edge view of it that's located somewhere off of my screen. I think the default should be to paste items as expected, with a warning that their orientation and/or plane are about to be changed, and an option to place them in their original plane if so desired.

So to add to your list...

2. Profiles copied from extrudes seem to always paste to the Layer (X,Y) Plane so that unless your extrude was created in Top view, results are unexpected.

3. Similarly, the profiles of EAPs always seem to paste to a plane through the file's origin (where X, Y and Z all = 0) that is parallel to the plane in which they were first drawn.

I think this is because of the whole planar objects thing?

2. Profiles copied from extrudes seem to always paste to the Layer (X,Y) Plane so that unless your extrude was created in Top view, results are unexpected.

3. Similarly, the profiles of EAPs always seem to paste to a plane through the file's origin (where X, Y and Z all = 0) that is parallel to the plane in which they were first drawn.

Will, if by this you mean the object is pasted with the same coordinates and orientation that it was originally created in . . :confused: . . . Then Definitely!