Simple take off of materials from 3D model

Here is a quick and dirty way.

Assign each extrude a name in the data tab of its OIP (eg Front, LeftSide,RightSide, Bot, Top). Create new worksheet via RB. Database header column criteria to produce a cutting schedule:

=N to list each extrude by name

=Width

=Length

Or did you mean how to nest the extrudes on full sheets for most efficient cutting?

-B

Assign each extrude a name in the data tab of its OIP (eg Front, LeftSide,RightSide, Bot, Top). Create new worksheet via RB. Database header column criteria to produce a cutting schedule:

=N to list each extrude by name

=Width

=Length

Thanks Benson. Shame you can't just base everything on Classes.

Or did you mean how to nest the extrudes on full sheets for most efficient cutting?

Not even sure what you mean here. Got me interested though.

Christian

This works for me:

1. Each type of stock gets its own class.

2. In a worksheet use the class as a criterion.

3. Get the volume of each extrude.

4. Divide by the area of the cross section to get length.

This gives you a cut list. Add xx% and divide by the stock length to get a shop order.

hth

mk

Not even sure what you mean here. Got me interested though.

Nesting means arranging the rectangles on full sheets. Arrange them one way and you purchase too many sheets and/or end up with a bunch of little remainder pieces. Arrange/nest another way and you purchase fewer sheets, or at least have fewer, larger remainders.

-B

Christian

This is an example for a different application, but I think the basics are the same.

The worksheet takes each stock (by class) and divides the volume by the area of the cross section to get the length.

It has a place to enter the length of the stock.

It checks the length of each piece against the stock.

It adds the total lengths, divides that sum by the stock length, adds 10%, and rounds up to the next integer.

The intent was to generate a quick cut list and shop order, but it should work for what you are trying to do.

Excuse all the mathematical gymnastics necessary when handing dimensions in cubic, square, and linear feet and inches.

This only works for square end cuts. (or end cuts that are mitered exactly the same direction and angle).

mk