As it is a wish list - Stability and decent workability please

QfanatiQ

Question

I have used a variety of packages. VW is hard going for anything on a larger scale than a few houses.

I'd really appreciate the VW team doing some hard and deep R&D by looking at all other CAD packages and deciding what they want their package to be and make it work.

Getting a outlook to concentrate on and moving forward.

One think I love about VW is the auto save per X number of functions done. Believe me I need it!

Crash Free Satibiliteeee pleeease.

Thanks

Q

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Q, there have been a series of similar threads on this subject, but right now i can't find any of them.

If i can fish them out i'll post the links here.

BTW, if you post what you're running;- type of PC, System, and the version of VW with SP# and any other related pieces of kit it will make it easier for anyone to reply much more concisely to your Wish, Request, Suggestion . . . . . knowing what you're using.

:)

Then you really need to upgrade to the latest version. Not only because it's more stable but because you can't really pass comment on stability unless you're actually using the current version.

Stability in v2012 is very good in my experience.

I agree with the other aspect of your comment however, which is that VW doesn't scale up particularly well.

We have a version of 2012 running to see if there are any issues. Apprently the roll out is delayed as it is just as unstable as our 2011 install.

Is there any expert in depth look into installation and comparisons on systems, mobo's, etc etc? (again, i know there is often such research with Autodesk). Even is only US based support, have we got table comparisons of platform, cpu, graphics card configuration and their stability?

.We are mac based in this office.

Edited by QfanatiQ

I mean within our office. Due to 2012 being just as unstable, they are not looking to put this across the whole office. They are of the opinion that as we are all "getting along" with 2011 there is little point moving from one unstable release to another i guess.

Been told we are on the latest SP that VW offers (he just checked in case).

We have several projects that it seems to crash on. These have been started on VW2012 a fresh and have a mix of just our own information and projects that have got external (dwg converted referenced) information.

It really seems there is a massive difference in the office. I now rarely crash 2011, but the guy next to me, similar project size and configuration crashes typically once every other day 2011 and it seems we are not stable on 2012.

It is not ideal, but our workaround is the autosave set to x number of commands. I touch wood I stay stable, I know all too well what it is like.

Further more we can find it is not just file specific but mac specific as well. I can work on a file, but another user will crash, or similarly, a file tends to crash on whatever mac. As strange as it sounds, it would be better if there was consistency with when and how files crash.

It really seems there is a massive difference in the office.

We've had that experience too. v2011 used to crash for one person all the time even though we had the same spec machines and were working on the same files. When I swapped computers he still had crashes. I put it down to either something to do his network connection or perhaps some 3rd party software he was using that I wasn't. It went away with v2012 so I never investigated further.

We all have Mac's, they are all pretty much similar spec and we all have the same software updated to the same level.

Our network is stable (pretty much).

One of those things I think. I am not sure we will pinpoint it, hence my desire for a stable product.

It has got that bad that this is why we are looking at other products to the point of putting in this plan. This could be 100+ seats they loose in the not too distant future.

Given that we've found a marked increase in the stability of v2012 over previous versions I would recommend upgrading to v2012 and then trouble-shooting from there.

I don't think there's any justification in asking for more stability when the version you're actually using in production is no longer being developed.

Given that we've found a marked increase in the stability of v2012 over previous versions I would recommend upgrading to v2012 and then trouble-shooting from there.

I don't think there's any justification in asking for more stability when the version you're actually using in production is no longer being developed.

I feel no part of VW is being developed to prevent issues, just cramming more in.

You are right of course. But I am not Mr IT in the office and can only pester. I am told a lot of the issue is our tests on current projects suffer more greatly in 2012. There is a look at a slow change over for new projects. But the crashing is considered an issue.