Plant Database uses

Brookems

Hello,

This is my second post of the day :) I am using Landmark 2012.

I am curious as to how people use the VW Plant Database. So far I have just used it to import plant data into a plant symbol, but I am interested in using it to create reports to present to clients. I currently have software that allows me to create a plant list and then produce multiple reports from that list, including various legends, price schedules,and my favorite report which is title "Plant Briefs". This report allows me to create a report with one photo and the name, brief description and attributes of each plant. There are generally 4 plants per page. Is there a way to do this in the VW plant database? I know I can do a one page plant info sheet, but that is overkill and would be a monster report on a project with 50 varieties of plants.

The software that I have now is great, but it requires that I recreate the plant list, and if anything changes in the original plan, I have to go back in and change it in that program too. That is not a huge ordeal, but I am trying to streamline as much as possible!

thanks in advance for your help.

Brooke

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

HI Brooke

Any field that's present in the Plant Record can be included in a report. Try running Tools > Reports > Create Report. Choose to create a report from the Plant Record and then you will see all the fields listed to choose from. Move the fields you want to include to the list on the right.

The only thing you won't be able to include I'm afraid is an image from the plant database.

The worksheet you create will be good for any drawing - it will read any plants that are present in the project so you will not need to recreate it for each project.

Hope that helps

Tamsin,

Again thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the photo is a major part of what I want to give to clients, so the reports I can produce in VW don't quite cut it. I have been using the worksheets for plant schedules and costing though, and that has been very helpful.

I wish there was a way to get the two programs to talk to each other, but I don't think I can import plant lists into my other prgram either...bummer.

If anyone else has tips on how they use the FileMaker database, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Brooke

This works although it's a little static:

You can sort the Plant Database records to display plants for a project

Output each page as a pdf

Collate into one PDF plant book

With the pending release of FMP 12 this year I really hope NV will be implementing a modern, less circuitous implementation of the Plant Database.

At some point worksheets needs must receive a massive overhaul. At which point hyperlinks, images, symbols, etc. will be par for the course and we'll be surprised at how much sweeter and more profitable the entire VW experience becomes because of it.