Editing 2D symbols opens them rotated...and that's bad!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed. I did a quick search and could not find it.

I just finally started using VW 2012. Every time I double-click to edit a 2D symbol which is rotated in the drawing, it opens the editor with the symbol rotated. I pretty much never, ever, ever, ever want to edit my symbols this way. I looked all over and could not find an option to turn it off. I want my symbols to always edit at 0 degrees rotation, in top/plan view.

Thanks for any leads...it's driving me insane tonight!

Vectorworks 2012 Spotlight/Renderworks on mac OS X Lion (10.7)

does this also happen when you right click them in the resource browser?

No, selecting them in the resource browser opens them up as standard. But I have hundreds of symbols in my browser, so selecting them that way isn't desired.

When you double click symbols to edit them, VW show them in the current view of the drawing because you then don't get disorientated. It's easier this way.

Maybe for some people, but this is absolutely not easier for me. If a symbol is rotated at 27.73˚ in the design layer, I most certainly do not want to do my editing at 27.73˚. I want to do it flat, as I originally drew it.

If you want to reset the view in the symbol to the original of the symbol, just hit the '0' button on your numeric keyboard.

0 chooses the Locus tool for me. For me, it seems to be Command-5. But even worse, if the symbol isn't centered on the screen when I select it and then hit Command 5, it rotates from the center of the screen, and send the symbol out of view. So I then have to get it back into view.

If this is intended as a feature, it is a terrible choice. If some people want it that way, then great. Hopefully this is made an option, because it is extremely aggravating. It did not do this in 2010 and before. I didn't use 2011, so I don't know if it did it there.

DWorks is referring to the "0" of the numeric keypad, if you have one, at the right side of the keyboard. Otherwise, you're limited to Command+5 (unless you change it).

I can't replicate its rotating out of view; it stays pretty well centered for me.

The frustration I've had with this is that if you switch from the symbol's 2D Component to its 3D Component, or vice versa, "Show Other Objects While in Edit Modes" is abandoned (although doing this does both rotate the symbol to it's original orientation and centers it).

In the meantime, rather than searching for a symbol in the Resource Browser, consider using the "Symbol Pick Up Mode" of the "Symbol Insertion" tool to place a temporary (non-rotated...) symbol for editing. It's a work around, to be sure, but maybe better than scrolling through a large library...

HTH, Will

But even worse, if the symbol isn't centered on the screen when I select it and then hit Command 5, it rotates from the center of the screen, and send the symbol out of view. So I then have to get it back into view.

I think it is because your objects in the symbol aren't at the insertion point and are too far away from it.

There is also an option to always center the selected objects after a view change, so maybe this is not on?

Also,

right click the symbol>Locate in Resouce Browser takes you directly to it.

Very handy for large RB files.

Really handy option! I use it a lot. You can not only use it to find symbols, but you can find the fill of objects this way and many other things. Right click on various objects to see those things, you'll be amazed what's possible.

DWorks is referring to the "0" of the numeric keypad, if you have one, at the right side of the keyboard. Otherwise, you're limited to Command+5 (unless you change it).

Ahh...OK.

I can't replicate its rotating out of view; it stays pretty well centered for me.

This is if the symbol isn't near the center of the screen when I click on it. If it's at the center of the green, then it stays there.

Also,

right click the symbol>Locate in Resouce Browser takes you directly to it.

Very handy for large RB files.

Oooh...that's a nice tip!

But even worse, if the symbol isn't centered on the screen when I select it and then hit Command 5, it rotates from the center of the screen, and send the symbol out of view. So I then have to get it back into view.

I think it is because your objects in the symbol aren't at the insertion point and are too far away from it.

There is also an option to always center the selected objects after a view change, so maybe this is not on?

I make doubly sure that all my symbols are directly centered on the insertion point.

It seems like this is just a new "feature" that does not work at all the way I like to work. I always, almost without exception, want to work on my symbols at zero rotation and centered, not at their layer view. So it's just a matter of some extra button presses each time. This should be an option/preference. I'll put it in a Service Select support ticket and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the help, everyone.